Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Rate Kolchak - Episode 3: They Have Been, They Are, They Will Be..
10 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
7 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
6 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:42 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
Episode 3: They Have Been, They Are, They Will Be ...

PtEImage

Original Air Date: September 27, 1974
Writer: Rudolph Borchert
Director: Allen Baron

Guest Stars:
James Gregory ...... Captain Quill
Mary Wickes ........ Dr. Bess Winestock
Dick Van Patten .... Alfred Brindle
Maureen Arthur ..... Woman Speaker
Fritz Feld ......... Waiter
Phil Leeds ......... Howard Gough
Len Lesser ......... Crowley

Chicago, Illinois: Kolchak battles uneartly enemies when deadly aliens who feed on human bone marrow invade the streets of Chi-Town.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:52 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Interesting Story that is the first to take Kolchak out of the paranormal side and into the close encounters category. Although probably one of the least remembered episodes, it gives Kolchak that man about town reputation of always being where he shouldn't be. Mary Wickes as the less than eager Zoological Doctor that helps Carl get the info that he needs was probably one of the more distinguished highlights of the episode. James Gregory - as always - plays that irascible police Captain.

Things that make this story work: We take a lot of alien/UFO mythology and string them together: cattle mutilation, repugnant otherworldly compounds, a trip to the planetarium for star mapping, and an invisible yet deadly alien. The absence of sound being generated from the aliens weapons also marks an interesting side twist that he can mask auditory by raising its decibel levels higher than the human ears can distinguish.

Like most K-TNS episodes, what makes this work more than anything else is Kolchak's narrative during the episode and for the summary. The fact that we never see the alien is also pretty creepy because we have only our imaginations to limit us as to what such a creature may look like. Rather than give us a cheesy Mr. Ring like creature, we are left with an unseen force that could be anywhere and everywhere.

Solid middle of the road episode for me: 5!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:40 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
Kolchak the UFO Hunter ... I like it. For the more hardcore and horror people here, this may be just an average episode. For our science fiction crowd, this should be a nice change. An angry invisible alien that stalks the Chicago streets looking for a way home. Posibly misunderstood or even frightened, we never find out in which. This adds to the drama and suspense for me; as do a few other aspects of this episode.

The alien, whether by choice or circumstance, dampens the noise in the area around it. Gun shots, explosions, voices, are all eliminated which makes the being that much more a formidable. Who can help you if they can not hear what is going on? Being that we never see the alien is a positive note for me in this episode. They don't show a human in make-up or or any real form at all. You, the viewer, are left to the discretion of your mind to envision what the creature may look like. A spectral outline and blur from time to time, but that is all. Moulder and Scully, where were your previous counter parts when we needed them?

8/10

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:52 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
"They Have Been, They Are, They Will Be" is an interesting episode. It deals with extra-terrestrials and looked to me like inspiration for the "X-Files". Kolchak manages to put all of the pieces together to solve yet another mystery while Chicago's finest provide the cover-up or the conspiracy, whichever way you choose to define it. I got a kick out of the UFO and found the alien "break-in" at the electronics factory to be kind of fun. I wasn't as crazy about not seeing an alien, because I'm a fan of cheesy alien/monster FX.

My Rating: 5 - Good