Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:47 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
I was stunned to learn earlier today of the death of this actor - he was only 46 years old. It looks like a drug overdose but all the details aren't in yet. Hoffman was an Oscar winner and alternated between character studies in small films to splashy supporting villain roles in big films such as Red Dragon, Mission:Impossible III and the upcoming Hunger Games finales, Mockingjay pts. 1 & 2. I still remember an account from the set of Red Dragon, when star Anthony Hopkins showed up to the film set even though it was his day off work; when asked, Hopkins replied he just wanted to watch Hoffman at work. R.I.P.

Image one write-up on the net: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=114334

Reports are coming in that director and Oscar-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman has been found dead in his Manhattan apartment from an apparent drug overdose. Authorities found Hoffman with a needle in his arm. He was 46.

Hoffman won the Academy Award for Best Actor for the 2005 film Capote, and received three Academy Award nominations as Best Supporting Actor. He also received three Tony Award nominations for his work in the theater.

While he had been working as a professional actor for a few years by then, one of Hoffman's first notable roles was in Paul Thomas Anderson's debut feature, Hard Eight. Although he played a minor part in the 1996 film, Hoffman and Anderson would reteam for Boogie Nights, Magnolia, Punch-Drunk Love and, most recently, The Master, for which Hoffman received his fourth Academy Award nomination. He was also nominated for his performances in Doubt and Charlie Wilson's War, in addition to his Capote win.

Fans of Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games series know Hoffman as Plutarch Heavensbee, who made his debut in last year's Catching Fire. Hoffman was set to play a major role in the upcoming two-film finale, Mockingjay, already in production.

Hoffman moved effortlessly from blockbuster fare like Twister, Red Dragon and Mission: Impossible III to more dramatic fare like The 25th Hour, The Ides of March, Almost Famous and Synecdoche, New York, writer/director Charlie Kaufman's 2008 meditation on human life itself.

In 2010, Hoffman made his directorial debut with Jack Goes Boating, also playing the title character. He had plans to direct a second feature, Ezekiel Moss, with stars Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal attaching themselves to star just yesterday.

UPDATE: ComingSoon.net has learned that Hoffman's work as Plutarch Heavensbee was substantially complete on The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 and he had seven days remaining to shoot on The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2. His death will not affect the films' release dates of November 21, 2014 and November 20, 2015.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:42 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
:wtf: The Master is no longer with us..... :cry:

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:04 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Hard to feel sorry for someone who had the world by the tail and chooses heroin over his three kids and career. Go to the end of the line, broham. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200!

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:16 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
Always put out very good performances. Definitely shocked at his death, just couldn't break the habit. Damn shame.

Good night, Mr. Hoffman.

RIP

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW