Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maximilian Schell R.I.P.
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:59 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Maximilian Schell, known for playing German officers in such films as Counterpoint (1967) and Cross of Iron (1977), has just died, at age 83. Schell also appeared in another war film, his debut, with Marlon Brando - The Young Lions. I also remember him from such diverse roles as The Odessa File (1974), The Black Hole (79) and Deep Impact (98). Here's a good write-up: http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/01/showbiz/a ... hell-dies/
Austrian-born actor Maximilian Schell, winner of an Academy Award for his portrayal of a defense lawyer in "Judgment at Nuremberg," has died, his agent, Patricia Baumbauer, said Saturday. He was 83. Schell died at an hospital in Innsbruck, Austria, with his wife, Iva, at his side, Baumbauer told CNN. "He was suffering from a long illness," Baumbauer said. "My mother was Schell's agent for over 50 years, and when she died four years ago, he remained with the agency. He was like a father to me and knew me my entire life."

Schell, one of the most successful German-speaking actors in English-language films, made his Hollywood debut in 1958 in the World War II film "The Young Lions," according to IMDb.

In his second Hollywood role, as defense attorney Hans Rolfe in Stanley Kramer's classic "Judgment at Nuremberg," he won the 1961 Academy Award for Best Actor and beat out co-star Spencer Tracy for the Oscar, according to IMDb. He also earned a Golden Globe and the New York Film Critics Circle Award for the role, which brought him international acclaim.
Schell's acting eventually won him two more Oscar nominations -- in 1976 for Best Actor for "The Man in the Glass Booth" and in 1978 for Best Supporting Actor for "Julia," according to IMDb. Schell was born in Vienna on December 8, 1930, and raised in Zurich, Switzerland.
R.I.P.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:13 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
:cry: RIP I have always liked him. Especially in German military roles. :cry: