Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:51 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
I had thought I linked to Andrew's page dedicated to Terry Burnham, but indeed I had NOT.

Have a look at this ----> http://twilightzonemuseum.com/actors/terry/index.php

A few of you here know about my "autographing seeking exploits", and she was the one that many of us TZ autograph collectors could just never find, or so we thought anyway.
Over the years I sent to quite a few addresses, and in fact it now appears later in life that I back then DID send to what was supposedly her real address, out in Long Beach California.

As far as Andrew and I can discern (Andrew Ramage, fellow TZ autograph collector and creator of the TZ Museum website, also organizer of past TZ conventions) Terry Burnham after a number of years just shied away from public life.
Shunning fanmail, and essentially walking away from Hollywood altogether.
This must have been somewhere around the year 1971.

A few years back, someone came forward (whom is not a member of any of these message boards) and stated he had in fact bought a large storage container out in in the Long Beach area, and it had basically a treasure trove of Terry Burnham related material, and many personal records and a TON of childhood photographs. Essentially a recollection of her life in pictures and other documents.

If you look at that link I provided above, you will see a few private childhood photos of Terry, that only someone close to the family would have, or someone that acquired a large collection like this guy supposedly has. They range from shots of her as a young child, on and off all the way through up until she would have been in her mid to late 20's and possibly later.
There are also a few shots that we (Andrew in particular) basically promised to the owner to keep private, and not post on the site.

Now supposedly this unnamed person has reason to believe she was in a severe car accident in the 1980's and was badly injured.
From what we can gather, she must have spent the rest of her life at least partially crippled, and possibly in a state of depression or other (mental???) illness.
I am assuming he has some type of records indicating this about the accident etc.
Regardless of the severity, she has chosen to remain private, and stayed directly away from the public.
She has/had essentially stayed in the shadows ....which is kind of a riddle in itself in todays world and society.

The owner of the photos and personal belongings has promised that if any of her family ever comes forward, he would gladly return the contents of those items.
If anyone happens to possibly know someone, or if anyone offhand sees this, please contact me directly and I can try and get word to the owner of said items.

Just in the last few days, SOMEONE ELSE has come forward and said that Terry Burnham indeed passed away last October.
There are currently NO records online to indicate this in any fashion.
Seeing as she would be only roughly 64 years old, this may not even be the case.

On a personal level, I refuse to believe she has passed just yet, for the simple fact there are essentially no verifiable records to indicate it.
Even the most private of people seem to "resurface" in death, it just has a way of making the news.

Her mystery continues.............

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:14 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
That is damn interesting to read about. This mysteriousness is boggling, and quite haunting to be honest.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 5:40 pm 

lazyboyx51 wrote:
That is damn interesting to read about. This mysteriousness is boggling, and quite haunting to be honest.

Yes it is.
It adds to her mystery as far as I'm concerned.
For me, it was a labor I pursued for months and months along with several other collectors, generally leading seemingly to a dead end, and she may have been just under our noses the entire time.

Both of us feel that I indeed sniffed out her correct address, which I may have sent to on more than one occasion.
In fact there was one "send" in particular I just told Andrew about, where I sent out to a certain addy in Long Beach and my "envelope" remained for 5-6 months, only to eventually come back in the return envelope, with all contents and letter UNSIGNED.
We are inclined to think this was indeed her, and she still refused to acknowledge that part of her life, didn't sign but was gracious enough to send my items back.
For what its worth, there was some incentive for her also, as I ran the proposal of attending a planned TZCon at that time and invited her, with the possibility of making some good money signing pictures etc. etc.
So for her to outright refuse and hide away, she must have been bitter, or had some other "illness" as some are believing.

You said its haunting...........
I said exactly the same thing about that last picture of Terry.
Look back at that link and compare photos of the last one (which must have been her in her late 20's or so) and compare it to the others.
The smile is gone.
Its as if something was already amiss, and she just wasn't happy.

It is a sad story, and one we likely won't ever know the whole truth about.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:37 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

I got a creepy vibe looking at those pictures. Mainly because she looks so pleasant and happy and then.....poof.....vanished from known existence.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:14 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Rorschach wrote:
Zicree who says in the TZ companion that the casting was poor,

This might be the biggest bunch of bullshit Zicree has ever written.

I never really got into the "Zicree is an idiot" debate, for obvious reasons, including its a waste of time.
But this truly does make one realize he is a jackass.

:lol: Thats one of the funniest things Ive ever read on here. By the way if you can remember posting that... what were the obvious reasons? Because he was just stating his thoughts on the episodes?

To get back on topic...good digging TZ. I think we are all intrigued now about her whole mystery. It must be fascinating for you because she is one of your favorites of the Twilight Zone. Has her "disapperance" from fame made it all the more bizarre for you as a fan or what?

For Fu*ks sake man Ive just realized you have had that avatar since day 1 here...and even further then that. Now that takes dedication. :bow:

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:20 pm 

Just a quick note to any interested..............

I was informed through email that Terry Burnham has indeed passed away, and in fact it happened late last year as was thought before.

Someone that has access to Lexis Nexis people search (which is a high end pay database that certain agencies use) has now verified that Terry Burnham passed on 10/07/13 at 64 years old.
As I have mentioned in the past, she seemingly chose to stay out of the limelight, and decided to get out of acting, right when she was getting fairly popular.

Records show she almost "dropped off the planet" somewhere around 1980, but after death some addresses have come up.

There is no cause of death that we can verify.

On a personal note- this was the one person that I wanted,that I could never get as far as autographs were concerned.
At one time there were collectors LITERALLY around the nation trying to dig up information on her, and she somehow stayed well under the radar.
It started off as a quick search years back, and before long I had many people looking and she just managed to stay pretty much invisible.
The last address we could eventually get (which was listed with her death information) had her living in a trailer out in Compton California.
Regardless, it was a sad story, and hopefully in death she can finally find peace.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:35 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Such sad news. I hope she has found peace as well. Good night, Ms. Burnham.

RIP

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:39 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
lazyboyx51 wrote:
Such sad news. I hope she has found peace as well. Good night, Ms. Burnham.

RIP

I second this, she did such a tremendous acting job in this episode, wish she furthered her acting career more, she would have been more famous, alas...

RIP,

God bless

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:28 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I'm very sorry to hear it, though I've never been TERRIBLY familiar with her, apart from this story and the film IMITATION OF LIFE. But TZ DZ Fan has made her a real icon around here, luckily.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:56 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Two-Bit Floozy Betty Lou wrote:
I'm very sorry to hear it, though I've never been TERRIBLY familiar with her, apart from this story and the film IMITATION OF LIFE. But TZ DZ Fan has made her a real icon around here, luckily.

I too only know her from this episode, and thank Mr TZ DZ for his appreciative spirit in regards of Terry Burnham.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:34 pm 
Pen Pal
Pen Pal

Hi Everybody -

At VERY long last, I am officially on this forum. I haven't posted on a message board in quite some time - probably 7 years now. I think the last time I did was right after Herman Darvick's last TZ convention in 2007. TZ DZ Fan (Scott) and I were in frequent touch for about 2 years, 2006-2007. Due to life in general - namely, both of us being so damned busy - we fell out of touch until earlier this year. He invited me to join PTE and now that Xmas break has arrived for me, I actually have a chance to post something.

This Terry Burnham thread was not where I intended to start, but sometimes we just have to pick a starting point and go from there. So here we go.

As most of you know, I have a small degree of fame in TZ land, for my various TZ-related projects (the first two TZ cons, website, books, Image Entertainment's DVD release, etc.) I will admit though, that I had not watched any TZ episodes in about 4 years - until a few months ago while on a brief summer vacation. I'm pretty well retired from it all now. It was a wonderful run that lasted upwards of a decade. These days, I still have the website and infrequently add new things to it...and the Terry Burnham page was one of them. I'll explain more in a bit. I am looking into some other shows now, which were similar to TZ. I haven't yet seen much of AHP, but I have seen all of "Thriller" and always did like that show. I'm now getting into OL and One Step Beyond. I first looked at OL in 2008 when I bought the DVDs. The original series, that is. I didn't like many/any of the episodes I watched. I didn't watch every single one of them. But the ones I did see, I couldn't help compare to TZ - especially since they contained the same actors. But now I'm watching all the OL episodes again and some of them are surprisingly good. I'll post some thoughts about them on here as time passes. Please be patient with me, as far as expressing my thoughts, about the TZ episodes, if I do happen to post under any TZ threads on here. I am very biased as far as it goes. I know TZ from two perspectives - as the ardent fan and as the businessman. Now, not many of us out there know TZ from a business perspective... Marc Zicree and a handful of others of us who have "done Twilight Zone stuff and received money for it", which has included dealing with many people who were involved with Rod's original series. So, while I love all the episodes dearly - even the lesser ones like "Come Wander With Me", I see them much differently than the average viewer. I can look at some of them and say "That actor was a real pain in the ass" or "I helped that actor paint her bathroom and walked her dogs one afternoon" or "That actress told me that she hated working on that episode and felt that her hair and makeup were all wrong." I even got the opportunity to tell the PARENT of a TZ actress (the late Susan Gordon's mother) how wonderful her daughter was and how special she will always be to me. I am not trying to make myself "important." No way. And, at present, I have no plans to watch any of the TZ episodes again anytime soon! I've ran my course with them long ago and am trying to move on to other great TV shows.

Now, to touch just briefly about this thread - yes, I did have some contact with a man from back east who emailed my website and struck up a friendship with me. I just talked to him a couple nights ago, in fact. He is a retired policeman who also worked for the post office during his career. He, like some of us on here, was a lifelong Terry Burnham fan. I don't know how diehard he really was/is about her career, but when he saw that her personal paperwork - including her birth certificate, high school diploma, and baby pictures (just to name a few) were being sold at auction, he decided to purchase it in hopes of returning it to her. What ended up happening, after he purchased it (the auction he bid on was for a paltry $200'ish and did not include all of the contents of Guy Burnham's storage locker out in Compton, California), was pretty strange. The seller who sold it to my friend contacted him again and said that a young college-aged guy from Australia, who had purchased the other half of Terry's paperwork (from a DIFFERENT seller - a TV-holic guy in Japan...long story) wanted to buy out the rest of the property and would pay very good money for it. And he paid my friend a princely sum. My friend eventually passed along the college kid's information - email and phone number - to me. I emailed him a couple of times. I wanted to buy at least one photo from the collection. He would not sell even one photo to me. Another individual emailed me and asked if I could find out if the collection had any of Terry's scripts. The answer was, "Yes but again, I will not sell any of them. I need to keep all of this stuff together, in honor of Terry." WHATEVER.

As some of you may know, a great many people (including some people on this forum) have tried to find Terry Burnham. And - to this day - her death is only about 99.5% certain. I never sought out Terry myself, but my aforementioned friend sure did - and he found a concrete address for her. To the best of his knowledge, she never left the Long Beach, California area. Her last known address was a double-wide space in a trailer park in Rancho Dominguez, which is not far from Long Beach. My friend even went so far as to call the post office serving that area and talk to the mailman who was currently on Terry's route. The mailman never saw Terry, try as he might. She was just not around. Another person I talked to went to a particular apartment building where Terry lived. The answer he got from one of the tenants who had lived there for many many years was, "Yes, she lived here a very long time ago, I remember her."

A year or so ago, a fellow who claimed to be a member of Terry's high school class - who has also never left Long Beach - was looking for her as well. He'd been trying to find her for 40+ years, since he hadn't seen her since they graduated in 1967. This guy was a NUT JOB - he was irate that I had displayed these rare shots of Terry and wanted to know how I got them. He claimed that Terry was his half sister or some such nonsense. He also told me that he'd been out to the Hall of Records in the city of Norwalk a few times, looking for a death certificate. He found Terry's dad's death certificate, but not hers. So, he did not believe me when I shared the evidence I got earlier this year that she very likely had passed away. In January of this year, I received an email from a lady who is about Terry's age and did know her just ever so briefly during her high school days. She might've been part of the Lakewood Folk Association, which was a musical group (folk music) that Terry was involved with - she played the guitar and sang. This lady works for a law office and has access to the Lexis Nexis database, or one of them. Lexis Nexis is used by every large law firm; it's about the closest thing you can 'buy', short of access to governmental databases that will pretty much spell out everything about a person - the makes and models of a person's cars and their VIN numbers, credit card numbers, cel phone numbers, etc. Anyhow, she looked up Terry. Terry's legal name was Elizabeth Teresa Burnham. There were some other Terry Burnhams in California, and a number of Elizabeth Burnhams. Luckily - I had Terry's social security number. Her social security info was included in the medical records, which are now in the hands of the college kid collector. He would not give the number to me, but he did give it to my friend back east. Once I got it, it was a sure-fire hit. The lady ran the SS# and the search displayed the almost unequivocal information: the Terry Burnham we were looking for died in October 2013 in Long Beach.
The news never hit the papers. What I'm thinking is that she gave specific instructions to whomever was in charge of her "estate" - an estate, mind you, that lacked just about everything connected with Terry - to not let the news go public.

I am of the opinion that just about nobody knew Terry at all. What I believe happened is that she spent her adulthood years caring for her parents. Her mother died not too many years ago, around 2010. Her father died in 1998. And - I believe they cared for Terry too. Her medical records indicate that she suffered terrible back problems. I do not want to relay any information about this, but let's just say that she was probably ill for her whole adult life, mainly with spinal and back problems that never improved.

After announcing Terry's death on my website and Facebook page for the website, I got an email from a man who told me that he was one of Terry's old boyfriends. In a nutshell, he said that Terry was a nice, warm, genuine, loving person who most people liked. Those who didn't like her were jealous of her career. He did make the comment, though, that having any relationship with her was very difficult. He said that he could never get too close to her because her father was an unmerciful tyrant. Terry's time was very limited, because her father watched her like a hawk. He mentioned that after suffering a football injury, Terry's father convinced her to end the relationship with him, and sadly, she did. Terry's father, Dr. Guy Burnham, was a physician. Her mother was largely responsible for the business end of her career, as I saw significant evidence of when I looked at the dozens of scans provided to me by my friend, of paperwork from Terry's career. I have shared some of Terry's photos, and a few letters and telegrams on my website, but not all of them, as per his request.

I'm going to surmise that Terry died alone and in pain. But, she was alone for many years, from what we can deduce from her paperwork. Like many prolific child performers, she never made the leap from prodigy to successful adult professional and instead, likely went on a search for the childhood she never had. Or, more likely, she chose to bury that part of her life. And sadly, I don't think she was ever able to create a new and better life for herself.

I'd like to someday write a screenplay about Terry - only I'd give it a happy ending. Someday.

Anyhow, I'm glad to be here - this was a very long self-introduction! Thanks for having me. Just looking at a few of the threads, I see about a dozen names that are very familiar to me...a couple of them date back as far as 1998 when I joined the old pre-TZ Café board on the Fifth Dimension website. That was a wonderful board. And in retrospect, I give it a lot of credit because it was a springboard for many TZ friendships. And it just may have been responsible for my doing the conventions. I still talk to a couple of those people who I met so many years ago. Good friendships last forever!

Happy holidays,
Andrew Ramage

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:33 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Welcome to the fold, Andrew. Nice to have you with us. I started with these guys on the "That Other Joint" board, and we are all thrilled to have the PtE board forging ahead, more than 7 years now. Fascinating information you have laid out. Looking forward to any and all experiences you have had with the TZ realm if and when you care to share. Enjoy the other threads on the board!

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:13 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Welcome Andrew! Your Terry story is very odd and equally sad.

I am a huge Outer Limits fan and I should actually watch the series again. The last time I did, I posted my thoughts in the threads here and frankly am a bit embarrassed of them now. There really is nothing more to add that David J. Schow, Peter Enfantino, John Scoleri, Craig Beam, and others haven't already covered in spectacular detail.

I also started with others here at "That Other Joint" and am pleased that PtE has stayed together for so long. There are lots of knowledgeable people here and zero trolling and nitpicking (I'll credit that to our board's leaders!). :bell: :dance: :bell:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:37 pm 
Pen Pal
Pen Pal

Hi Whit - Yes, I agree, the Terry B. story is pretty depressing, when I think about it. It becomes more and more clear to me that she had significant psychological issues that were never dealt with, in addition to her physical health problems. I think she fell into a whirlpool that she was never able to make her way out of. To quote TZ DZ Fan, "Terry was the Holy Grail of TZ." I could not agree more. I just wonder why she didn't accept any of the overtures from those of us who liked and appreciated her. Even those who lived in the same town she did never were able to locate her again.

Yes you are one of those that I remember from the very old days. Yes, "that other board" had its share of weirdos, not to mention a few who were just downright evil (to me, anyway) and just enjoyed getting a rise out of anyone they possibly could. I hadn't posted there regularly for a long time - the last time I think I did was in about 2006 before leaving for good. I came back briefly in 2007 but only for the purpose of making a few statements about then-current goings on about TZ...which ultimately resulted in even more resentment. I am still in touch with Dan Hollis, who lets me know whenever someone from TZ has died.

I am new to OL. Like most shows of any genre, it kinda runs on a bell curve distribution of excellent, mostly-average, and mediocre episodes. I have not seen them all yet but I'm working on it. And, I am in the process of acquiring the complete series of OL trading cards issued in 2002.
Have you seen the new OL series from the 90s and early 2000s? Apparently Stefano and/or Stevens had a hand in it, however small that hand was. Usually "Hollywood" doesn't like older folks getting involved in current projects. Which sucks, but that's life.

whitsbrain wrote:
Welcome Andrew! Your Terry story is very odd and equally sad.

I am a huge Outer Limits fan and I should actually watch the series again. The last time I did, I posted my thoughts in the threads here and frankly am a bit embarrassed of them now. There really is nothing more to add that David J. Schow, Peter Enfantino, John Scoleri, Craig Beam, and others haven't already covered in spectacular detail.

I also started with others here at "That Other Joint" and am pleased that PtE has stayed together for so long. There are lots of knowledgeable people here and zero trolling and nitpicking (I'll credit that to our board's leaders!). :bell: :dance: :bell:

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:07 pm 
Pen Pal
Pen Pal

Lazyboy! Yes, your name and avatar are familiar as well, from the old days. I have yet to get a Lazyboy chair, much as I'd love one. I just haven't treated myself to one yet, haha. I'm actually looking forward to posting more about the other shows like "Thriller", rather than much on TZ. I've said all I can say about that show, I think. You may have seen my website www.twilightzonemuseum.com wherein I have an episode guide with commentary. I had some great discussions with people on the old 5th Dimension website board, before it got ugly haha. I don't know if you were around there in 1997-98 like I was. It was a very old-fashioned and primitive board by today's standards. No signatures or avatars. But the discussion was great. And then within 2-3 years it totally plummeted. What rises must fall. Anyway thanks for the nice welcome!

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Welcome to the fold, Andrew. Nice to have you with us. I started with these guys on the "That Other Joint" board, and we are all thrilled to have the PtE board forging ahead, more than 7 years now. Fascinating information you have laid out. Looking forward to any and all experiences you have had with the TZ realm if and when you care to share. Enjoy the other threads on the board!

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:55 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

welcome Andrew.

99.9% still leaves room right that shes alive? why do you guys think this news wouldnt go public? possibly she was embarassed over her decline over the years?? I think with access to all that personal information including a SSN you guys pretty much solved this case. What a puzzling and bizarre set of circumstances she dealt with in life.

I have a suggestion...create a two hour live TV special...broadcast it one night ONLY and live on the major networks and call it "the mystery of Terry Burnhams vault" Get :sparkle: geraldo Rivera :sparkle: to host.
Then when all we find is dirt and some empty bottles we can definitively prove shes alive.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:06 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

TZAndrew wrote:
the old 5th Dimension website board, before it got ugly haha. And then within 2-3 years it totally plummeted. What rises must fall. Anyway thanks for the nice welcome!

The best (or worst) part about that was the fact I had absolutely nothing to do with that. :clap: But I remember how petty everyone got there at the end. It was like watching the ending of Monsters on Maple st lol.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:54 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
TZAndrew wrote:
Yes, "that other board" had its share of weirdos, not to mention a few who were just downright evil (to me, anyway) and just enjoyed getting a rise out of anyone they possibly could.

I remember getting in arguments with a guy at "that other joint" a lot. But like you said, he would argue just to argue. It was mostly about politics, which is a waste of time (I used to be a news junkie, but not anymore). Because I'm so thick-headed, it took me a long time to understand that my interpretation of "correct" or the "facts" can be as opposite as north and south with someone else and there's usually no amount of arguing that will change that.

TZAndrew wrote:
Have you seen the new OL series from the 90s and early 2000s?

If I could make a suggestion...don't bother with the 90s series. There are much better things to watch. I've tried to watch it, but instead watch the original TOL, even the bad episodes.

Here are some of my favorite, more recent TOL resources:
http://mylifeintheglowoftheouterlimits.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-life-in-glow-of-outer-limits.html (Craig Beam)
http://wearecontrollingtransmission.blogspot.com/ (John Scoleri, Peter Enfantino, with David J. Schow)
https://www.facebook.com/TheOuterLimitsCompanion (David J. Schow)

And you mentioned "Thriller"...John Scoleri, Peter Enfantino, and David J. Schow ran through the entire series a few years ago, here: http://athrilleraday.blogspot.com/

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:33 pm 
Pen Pal
Pen Pal

Hi SVB -

Yes, what rises must fall. I remember you well from those old days. I don't know why it got so out of hand. One of the last times that Matt V. (James BW Bevis) emailed me, he was telling me about his rapidly declining health and that the board
was in part responsible for his being sick. He said "SVB is suspended again, and others are causing some minor problems too" and I am thinking "what the hell is this, junior high school??!" It was good that you all got outta there. I posted on there regularly from 1998-1999, and then in 2001-2002 just as plans for our first TZ Con got underway. Then, I didn't go back until 2005-2006, to help Herman promote his 2006 con, which was fantastic. Not long after that, I left there for good, but in a ball of fire - someone started posting untrue things about me and all kinda went to hell. Which was fine with me. Nobody can have 100% popularity and I was/am definitely not popular with most of those folks (I know that guy who goes by Major hated me with a passion!) I do still talk to Paul Giammarco, a great guy, as well as Dan Hollis, whose real name is Phil. Phil usually emails me as soon as Major posts about a TZ-related death so I can post it on my website and on the facebook page.

StillValleyBard wrote:
TZAndrew wrote:
the old 5th Dimension website board, before it got ugly haha. And then within 2-3 years it totally plummeted. What rises must fall. Anyway thanks for the nice welcome!

The best (or worst) part about that was the fact I had absolutely nothing to do with that. :clap: But I remember how petty everyone got there at the end. It was like watching the ending of Monsters on Maple st lol.