Leonard Nimoy has died.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/leonard ... 201443212/

Post subject: Re: R. I. P., Len
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:21 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
Very sad to hear this, this afternoon.

There is a backstory on this, Andrew and I have been talking about this exact thing happening for a couple of months now.

I'll try and get him to respond soon, and relate the "difficulty" he has had in acquiring one of the Outer Limits Nimoy autographed cards just recently.
I was fortunate I got mine about 2 months ago.
EBAY has been a wasteland on those certain cards, they just aren't available.

Regardless, its a sad day for all sci-fi fans.
Good night Mr. Nimoy.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:59 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

:( RIP Leonard Nimoy a 60's Icon :cry:

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:39 pm 
Pen Pal
Pen Pal

Thanks to TZDZFan aka Scott, I have indeed picked up the Nimoy OL autograph card, paying about 150 bucks less than I thought I would be forced to even four hours ago, right Scott?! :dance:

I never new Nimoy, naturally. While I was "privileged", if you will, to know a few of the bigger TZ actors who attended my conventions, Nimoy was just a ways out of my realm. Actually, there was an agent out there named Chris Roe, who represented William Windom and Antoinette Bower and Sarah Marshall and Joseph Ruskin and a few others. He also represented a number of old Star Trek actors and knew how to get in touch with Nimoy. He made the suggestion of paying Nimoy $5,000 to come to the convention for a few hours and have a private signing area with him. Well, I did not have that amount of cash at the time,
and $5,000 would not have been enough. While I have only seen a handful of "Star Trek" episodes, I have seen Nimoy's OL episodes and I know him for his directorial work. I remember, vividly, seeing "Three Men and a Baby" in the theater and thinking it was great. As for his TZ contribution - it was a small part, but he did give an audio commentary for the Definitive TZ DVD set 10-12 years ago now, although I did not recruit him for that. Shatner and even Takei did not do commentaries - they were too expensive, I suppose - but Nimoy agreed to do one, and I did think that was cool. I listened to it not too long ago and found his comments interesting. I'd have been interested to know what he thought about OL. I don't think the OL DVDs contained any commentaries from the actors...did they??

So, the obvious question - is Shatner's turn next? He's 84 this year...still going strong, but let's face it, natural causes could take him at any moment.
I hope he doesn't go too soon after Nimoy. By rights, there should be some time in between deaths, at least for the sake of the Trek fans.
This Nimoy death has crushed enough of them, I am sure. :(

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:34 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Being a product of immigrant parents and living in a small bucolic town, I felt like an outsider; yet, Watching Mr. Spock ( portrayed by the late great Mr. Nimoy) gave me a relief, I related well to Mr. Spock, as he was the " half breed", the Alien on the show. I felt I knew what he was going through.

I admire Mr. Spock's Vulcan philosophy of Logic, and Peace, as a child, and still do to this day. Star Trek and Mr. Spock are things that are very close to my heart.

I will miss the Great man Mr. Leonard Nimoy,as I am sure we all will.

He Lived Long and Prospered, may he have eternal peace in the hereafter.

Zone Peace and Prosper

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:55 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:47 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
This may be the saddest news for me of any of the sci-fi deaths I have heard over the past decade. Consider me a Trekkie; I love the original series, especially Spock. I also enjoyed Nimoy in TZ and TOL. It was a joy to watch him in Fringe. I had no idea he directed Three Men and a Baby - I believe I also saw that in the theaters as a kid, and I also really liked that movie. Still a bit shocked, a little beside myself, because I guess I just always expect these people to be out there somewhere. Well now his body will be laid to rest, but his spirit and soul can live on, continued with wonderful memories of his portrayals. Good night, Mr. Nimoy.

RIP

:cry:

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:27 pm 
Pen Pal
Pen Pal

Lazyboxy, I am sorry for your loss. I imagine right now a lot of Trekkies and Klingons are going through a mourning period that will probably last for at least a couple weeks, including his buddy Shatner. Nimoy did live a long and great life...he did everything that could've been expecte of him during his 84 years. That's longer than I hope I live!

On a different note - I did snag - AT LONG LAST - Leonard's OL signed card, last night, for far less than I thought I would pay. So, my OL card collection is well on its way to being complete. His card was one of the hardest to get. So, I'm glad that's out of the way now. I have never seen his autograph on anything other than Trek photos. Not OL photos, TZ photos...nothing else other than Trek cards, Trek photos, and TZ cards. He did not sign thru the mail at all for probably 15-20 years and that's why a lot of us in TZ land missed him...because we didn't go to the Trek cons.

Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:07 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Thanks for the condolences Andrew, much appreciated. Glad to hear you were able to acquire the Nimoy auto OL card - very cool indeed!!

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:41 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

lazyboyx51 wrote:
Thanks for the condolences Andrew, much appreciated. Glad to hear you were able to acquire the Nimoy auto OL card - very cool indeed!!

My empathetic condolences too, this is the saddest news ( RIP Mr. Spock).

---- I did see the above card for sale on Ebay, being auctioned for $100.00. Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-OUTER-LIMIT ... 19fc7f79b3

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Loved him on the TBBT as well.

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:09 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My favorite pic of Len as Spock:

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:30 pm 

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:58 pm 
Pen Pal
Pen Pal

Beware, do you happen to know who those other people with him in the photo are? I recognize John Hoyt in the back, but the guy next to Nimoy, I can't quite place.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:20 am 

TZAndrew wrote:
Beware, do you happen to know who those other people with him in the photo are? I recognize John Hoyt in the back, but the guy next to Nimoy, I can't quite place.

The guy next to Nimoy is Jeffrey Hunter.
I assume that shot is from "The Cage" which was the un aired pilot episode. Jeffrey Hunter was cast as the original captain, before Shatner would take over his famous role.

Since you aren't a big Trek fan, you might not have known of Hunter. (nor that un aired pilot with him)

BTW- I never did see that episode with Hunter either, though I have seen most of the other "Shatner episodes".

Of course thats Hoyt in the back, and the other two are smaller bit actors. I think one was Peter Duryea, but I'm not positive without looking into it further.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:10 pm 
Pen Pal
Pen Pal

Well, it just goes to show how out of the "Trek" loop I am... I never knew that anyone else but Shatner had the role of Kirk.
I also never knew there was an unaired pilot. I do know that "The Man Trap" was the first one ever aired, written by our own G.C. Johnson.
But I seem to think that there was another pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." I just checked...I was partially right.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:12 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

LLAP in the TZ

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:58 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Beware The Creeper wrote:

Back Row: Peter Duryea (Lieutenant José Tyler) — John Hoyt (Lieutenant Commander Phillip Boyce, MD) — Ed Madden (Enterprise geologist)

Front Row: Leonard Nimoy (Lieutenant Spock) — Jeffrey Hunter (Captain Christopher Pike

Mr. Hunter is best known for the role of Jesus (born Yoshua bar Yusef) in the 1961 movie King Of Kings.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:39 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
TZAndrew wrote:
So, the obvious question - is Shatner's turn next? He's 84 this year...still going strong, :(

Shatner will outlive everyone. Bet on it.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:24 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

TZAndrew wrote:
Well, it just goes to show how out of the "Trek" loop I am... I never knew that anyone else but Shatner had the role of Kirk.
I also never knew there was an unaired pilot. I do know that "The Man Trap" was the first one ever aired, written by our own G.C. Johnson.
But I seem to think that there was another pilot, "Where No Man Has Gone Before." I just checked...I was partially right.

Actually Shatner was the only Kirk. Jeffrey Hunter played Captain Christopher Pike. When they panned the original pilot, Shatner came on I believe because Jeffrey Hunter may not have had the availability to return. They chopped up parts of the original pilot and aired scenes in the episode 'The Cage' which TZ DZ mentioned.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:03 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

Like TZ Andrew, I've always been FAIRLY out of the loop, but I've always liked ST enough in a casual way to make up for it.
I can't really add anything to what's already been said.