Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:27 pm 
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
I decided to bring up a new thread, specifically for this.
As many of you know, Lois Nettleton recently passed away. (The Midnight Sun)

Last week, I learned of Clark Allen (bagpiper in FCISOAE) passing, and today I learn of yet another.

Barry Morse, from "A Piano In the House" died Saturday at a hospital in London.

Sadly enough, it seems like many leave us around the same time. :(

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:45 pm 
The General
The General

My Mood: Giddy
also George Keymas January 18th!
He, of course, was the leader in "The Eye of the Beholder".......
:-(

"Oh, just sittin' here with our teeth in our mouth" Vic & Sade

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:16 pm 

Yes I knew, but forgot to add him in here.
We were trying to make arrangements to get him to sign our posters, but it just never came up.

And now you have to deal with never getting Barry Morse too, he is one you used to always regret never getting TTM. :(

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:11 pm 
The General
The General

Yep, the last five years I have tried in earnest. Even last fall going through his manager and nothing so he must have been pretty ill.
The last successes on Star Tiger are from early 2007.....very sad. I love his work and especially on 'The Fugitive' and in one of my favorite TZ's!!!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:54 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Actor Ivan Dixon Dies at 76
Emmy nominee known for 'Hogan's Heroes'
By VARIETY STAFF

Actor, director and producer Ivan Dixon, known for his role as Sgt. Kinchloe on "Hogan's Heroes," died in Charlotte, N.C. on March 16 after suffering a hemorrhage. He was 76.
Dixon received an Emmy nom for the CBS Playhouse special "The Final War of Olly Winter" and appeared in films including "A Raisin in the Sun, "A Patch of Blue" and "Car Wash."
His directorial credits include hundreds of episodic television shows such as "The Waltons," "The Rockford Files," "Magnum P.I." and "Heat of the Night." His theatrical film directing credits include "Trouble Man" and "The Spook Who Sat by the Door."

Born in New York City, Dixon graduated North Carolina Central U. and studied drama at Western Reserve U., Karamu House in Cleveland, Ohio and the American Theater Wing in New York.
He began his career on Broadway in such plays as "The Cave Dwellers" and "A Raisin in the Sun." In addition to roles in feature films "Something of Value" and "Nothing But a Man," he appeared on TV shows such as "Perry Mason," "The Twilight Zone," "Outer Limits" and "The Mod Squad."

He was honored with four NAACP Image Awards, the National Black Theater Award and the Paul Robeson Pioneer Award from the Black American Cinema Society. A member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, Directors Guild of America, Screen Actors Guild of America, and the Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame, he served on numerous Directors Guild and Academy committees, boards and councils.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Berlie; a son and a daughter.

Damn - yet another one.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:52 pm 

Son of a bitch. :(

One of my favorites, even though "IATNCMB" isn't a popular episode with TZ fans. (NOR the Big Tall Wish either)

Too bad he never returned my shots signed. I always wanted to add him to my collection.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:10 am 
The General
The General

:( RIP

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:08 pm 

Horror Queen Hazel Court dies at 82
6 hours ago

Hazel Court, the English beauty who co-starred with the likes of Boris Karloff and Vincent Price in The Raven and other horror movies of the 1950s and 60s, has died.

Court, 82, died on Tuesday at her home near Lake Tahoe, California, from a heart attack, her daughter, Sally Walsh, said.

While she had a substantial acting career both in the UK and on American TV, Court was perhaps best known for her work in such films as 1963's The Raven. She co-starred with Price, Karloff, and Peter Lorre in a Roger Corman take on the classic Edgar Allan Poe poem.

Corman directed her in five movies. Like other "scream queens" of the era, Court's roles often relied on her cleavage and her ability to shriek in fear and die horrible deaths.

The Premature Burial, The Masque of the Red Death, The Curse of Frankenstein and Devil Girl from Mars helped propel her to cult status and brought her fan mail even in her later years.

"She'd probably get over 100 pieces of fan mail a month and she would reply to every single one," her daughter said.

Court had finished an autobiography, Hazel Court - Horror Queen, which would be published in Britain, Ms Walsh, of Los Angeles, said.

The daughter of a professional cricketer, Court was born on February 10 1926, in Sutton Coldfield, near Birmingham. As a teenager, she was appearing in stage productions when she was spotted and signed by the J Arthur Rank Organisation, which owned film studios and cinemas.

She got her first movie bit part by the time she was 18 and went on to become a popular actress and a pin-up girl. She appeared in some of the low-budget Hammer horror movies and co-starred with Patrick O'Neal in the 1957 British TV comedy series Dick And The Duchess. In the late 1950s, she came to the US to work on the TV show Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

In addition to her acting career, Court was a commissioned sculptor and painter whose works appeared in public galleries.

==============================

All people here of course know her from "The Fear".
Another one has left us.........sad. :(

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:37 am 

Damn! RIP Hazel Court. :cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:38 pm 

Sydney Pollack Dead At 73
LOS ANGELES ― Academy Award-winning director Sydney Pollack, a Hollywood mainstay who achieved commercial success and critical acclaim with the gender-bending comedy "Tootsie" and the period drama "Out of Africa, has died. He was 73.

Pollack died of cancer Monday afternoon at his home in Pacific Palisades in Los Angeles, surrounded by family, said agent Leslee Dart. He had been diagnosed with cancer about nine months ago, said Dart.

Pollack, who occasionally appeared on the screen himself, worked with and gained the respect of Hollywood's best actors in a long career that reached prominence in the 1970s and 1980s.

Last fall, he played Marty Bach opposite George Clooney in "Michael Clayton," which Pollack also co-produced. The film received seven Oscar nominations, including best picture and a best actor nod for Clooney.

Pollack's last screen appearance was in "Made of Honor," a romantic comedy currently in theaters, where he played the oft-married father of star Patrick Dempsey's character.

In recent years, Pollack produced many independent films with filmmaker Anthony Minghella and a production company Mirage Enterprises.

The Lafayette, Ind. native was born to first-generation Russian-Americans.

In high school, he fell in love with theater, a passion that prompted him forego college and move to New York and enroll in the Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theater.

Studying under Sanford Meisner, Pollack spent several years cutting his teeth in various areas of theater, eventually becoming Meisner's assistant.

After appearing in a handful of Broadway productions in the 1950s, Pollack turned his eye to directing.

Pollack is survived by his wife, Claire; two daughters, Rebecca and Rachel; his brother Bernie; and six grandchildren.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TZDZ's note -
I was fortunate enough to get him to sign a couple of 8x10s a few years ago. Even though he was a very busy man, he often didn't respond to fanmail. I was one of a lucky few that got him to sign TTM for me.
He was very gracious, and enjoyed the photos I gave him of his role in his TZ episode. I still have a very nice thank you note on his personal stationary he sent me, for the photos. The last I heard, he was still married to "Claire Griswold", who was the doll in "Miniature". RIP Mr. Pollack.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:23 pm 

RIP Sydney :cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:32 am 
The General
The General

They sure kept his illness quite and he sure didn't look sick....very sad indeed.
Back in the 1980's I use to deliver pizza's to his home in the Palisades! He was always very nice....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:19 am 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
RIP Mr. Pollack.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:02 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Richard Anthony Angarola (Miniature)

ANGAROLA, Richard Anthony Went gently into the night on the 7th of July at the Motion Picture Television Fund Home. He was born on September 1, 1920 in Traverse City, Michigan to Anthony Angarola (a celebrated painter) and Marie Ambrosius (a concert pianist). He grew up in Chicago in a home dedicated to artistic excellence. A veteran character actor, Richard was also a cellist, an avid swimmer and a Francophile. His acting career began in the theater. As a young man he joined the Goodman Theater in Chicago and the Peninsula Players at Fish Creek, Wisconsin, where he participated in many productions as a leading man. His theater credits included Heathcliff in "Wuthering Heights", Romeo in "Romeo and Juliet", The Prince in "Ondine" and "Our Lan" on Broadway. His career was put on hold when he served for three years in the Air force during WWII, flying in 52 missions, including D DAY. After the war, he resumed his acting career in New York where he met his first wife, actress Hilda Simms with whom he appeared on the stage. He spent a great part of the 50's living and working in Europe, notably France and England. Returning to the United States, he continued his acting career in the theater in New York until he ultimately moved to Los Angeles in the late 50's when he began his career in film and television. He re-married and had three children, Anthony (deceased in 1990), Richard, and Ondine. He was in over 70 films and TV series, including such classics as Papillon, Jeremiah Johnson, The Valley of the Dolls, Che!, and The Undefeated. His TV credits included Hawaii five-O, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Mission Impossible, Get Smart, The Rat Patrol and the Twilight Zone. Richard was a man of strong beliefs and values. Loyalty, honor and duty were of utmost importance to him. He was a man of enormous character and strength whose love of family superseded all else in his life. He is remembered amongst his family and friends as being a wonderful storyteller, stories which were all based on what he had experienced in his life and travels. He is survived by his children, Richard and Ondine and his granddaughter Aurelia, his sisters Yvonne, Francis, his brothers Harvey, Robert and many other loving relatives and friends. Richard will be deeply missed by those who loved him, but he will live on forever in our hearts. A memorial service will be held on August 16, at 3 p.m, Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Hollywood Hills, The Church of the Hills. In lieu of flowers, contributions in Richard's honor may be made to The Motion Picture Television Fund or the Humane Society.

Henry Beckman: "A Thing About Machines", "Valley of the Shadow" & The Night Gallery episode "They're Tearing Down Tim Riley's Bar"

Henry How Beckman, 86, died June 17th, 2008 in Barcelona, Spain. He was born November 26, 1921 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Recently retired from almost a half-century as a well-known character actor, Henry appeared in hundreds of television shows, films, and commercials in the United States and in Canada. His stints in Canada brought 2 Canadian "Oscar" film awards, known as the 'Etrog" after the sculptor, and now renamed the "Genie", in best-supporting actor category, the last in 1978 for "Blood and Guts". His best-remembered Hollywood television roles include running parts as Detective Briggs in "The X-Files", Colonel Harridan in "McHale's Navy", George Anderson in the infamous "Peyton Place"; but the fans of "Here Come the Brides" have special places in their hearts, as their "Captain Clancy", in the well-remembered-series, brought the vessels of brides each week to the Seattle wilderness of the 19th century. Much was filmed in the Seattle area, and later Henry and his family moved to Deming, Washington, where they had fabulous wilderness views and country living. Going back to other popular appearances, some were in "Twilight Zone," "Welcome Back Kotter," "Rockford Files," "Happy Days," "Gunsmoke," "Quincy," "Ironside," "Marcus Welby," "Mannix," "Columbo," "Bewitched," "Monkees," all the way back to the 50's: "Flash Gordon," "Peter Gunn," all those
early "Playhouse" and "Studio One's." Films included "The Man Upstairs" starring Katherine Hepburn in 1992. Henry was the sheriff in one of his best portrayals. Later films include "My Husband's Secret Life," "Lion of Oz," "Shadow of a Doubt," "Deadly Justice", "Last P.O.W." , "Blood River," etc. He usually played "heavies," with a great talent for languages and accents. He wrote many film scripts, was a member of the Writer's Guild of Canada, and Screen Writers Guild of America. His last script was "Hide and Go Kill". He belonged to SAG, AFTRA, ACTRA and Union of B.C. Players in Canada, and Director's Guild of Canada. Along the way, he became Sir Henry Beckman as he was invested as a member of the "Knights Of Malta", The Order of Saint John of Jerusalem of the Americas and Europe, a centuries-old military order. His sons were also admitted. He entered the Canadian military service, by changing his birth date, before he was 18; served from 1939-1945; and was among the 7% survivors of the Normandy invasion. His theatrical career began soon after. He had been living his later years in the warm climates of Mallorca and Barcelona, and passed away quietly, with his beloved Hillary, as they watched the ocean in the distance, from his window, starting his last long voyage across the well traveled waters. He is survived by his family,loving relatives and friends, the faithful fan club of Here Come The Brides, His fellow Knights of Malta. Inurnment will be in the family plot at St. Peter's Catholic Cemetery near Sumas, Washington. Bayview Chapel - Bellingham. Arranged by Moles Family Funeral Homes

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:32 am 
The General
The General

Well, TZ, I guess we can stop the search for Henry Beckman... :cry:
No wonder we had so many wrong addresses! He was living in Spain! For crying out loud!
RIP gents....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:00 pm 

Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
Well, TZ, I guess we can stop the search for Henry Beckman... :cry:
No wonder we had so many wrong addresses! He was living in Spain! For crying out loud!
RIP gents....

I knew Beckman had been dead for a couple of months now.

I thought you knew, and thats why you hadn't asked about him anymore.
Never thought about posting it here though, I tend to stick to the bigger names.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:11 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Never thought about posting it here though, I tend to stick to the bigger names. TZ DZ Fan

If they appeared on the show then their passing should be acknowledged regardless of how big a name they were, Clark Allen to me isn't a big name but you did include him in this thread.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:48 pm 

Major wrote:
If they appeared on the show then their passing should be acknowledged regardless of how big a name they were, Clark Allen to me isn't a big name but you did include him in this thread.

Correct, they should be noted, especially since they are dwindling to smaller numbers each year.

But the "lesser known" ones I* specifically point out, may be of special interest to several of the "collectors" here, namely me, woodrow, and DrMoreau.

The reason you might ask?
More often than not, they are people we have had direct contact with, or have persued TTM.
The reason I mentioned Clark Allen..............is because when DrMoreau last spoke with Susan Harrison at a convention, I believe she mentioned seeing Clark Allen many years after their episode. This guy had long ago pretty much vanished from the public eye.

The bigger names are the ones that stand out to the average TZ fan though, such as Lois Nettleton.

Lois Nettleton's death, still has an odd aura about it.
Supposedly she died at the "Motion Picture Retirement Home" out in California.
For those that don't know, many of the people there aren't exactly as they say "well off". I suppose some there, choose to live there, but for many, that is a cheaper, more necessary course of action.

Lois Nettleton is one actress that had plenty of work (and money), and shouldn't have been living there as far as I can discern.

I believe Woodrow can give more details about that place, as I think he has been there many times with various actors.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:57 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Major wrote:

Correct, they should be noted, especially since they are dwindling to smaller numbers each year.

But the "lesser known" ones I* specifically point out, may be of special interest to several of the "collectors" here, namely me, woodrow, and DrMoreau.

The reason you might ask?
More often than not, they are people we have had direct contact with, or have persued TTM.
The reason I mentioned Clark Allen..............is because when DrMoreau last spoke with Susan Harrison at a convention, I believe she mentioned seeing Clark Allen many years after their episode. This guy had long ago pretty much vanished from the public eye.

The bigger names are the ones that stand out to the average TZ fan though, such as Lois Nettleton.

Lois Nettleton's death, still has an odd aura about it.
Supposedly she died at the "Motion Picture Retirement Home" out in California.
For those that don't know, many of the people there aren't exactly as they say "well off". I suppose some there, choose to live there, but for many, that is a cheaper, more necessary course of action.

Lois Nettleton is one actress that had plenty of work (and money), and shouldn't have been living there as far as I can discern.

I believe Woodrow can give more details about that place, as I think he has been there many times with various actors.

TZ DZ Fan

Isn't that where Bela Lugosi ended up too?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:56 am 

Anthony wrote:

That may be the case, not really sure.

But as far as I can tell, there are* people that are there,that are really well off.

OTOH, I tend to think that for the most part, its more of the "not so well off" variety there.
Perhaps they still want to be around the "Hollywood community", even until the bitter end.

In my experience though, most of the ones that are still in good financial shape would rather be at their own places/homes with people helping to take care of them in the bad cases, instead of a "home", even one as famous as that one.

I don't know much about it, Woodrow can expand on it a bit more, and hopefully he will see this and chime in soon.

He did say that at one time, there were quite a few one-room "bungalow" type places there.

I can attest from my experience, that there are still alot of actors out there though, that continue to answer to fanmail.
Some of them still do limited work also.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:38 am 

Anthony wrote:

Negative. Bela was living in an Apatment on Herald Way - 5620 I believe - Hollywood. In the movie, Ed Wood, they depict Bela living in a house, which he did have prior to 1951 when he lost it. This home is now owned by Johnny Depp.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:05 am 
The General
The General

The Motion Picture & Television Country House & Hospital has been around since 1948.....it was set up as a retirement village for members of the Motion Picture and Television Fund. They eventually added acute care facilities and they have a hospital which is split in two, one side for dementia and Alzheimer's and the other side for sick people with their full faculties intact. It is on some 40+ acres and is for people of the movie and TV industries and is set up on an "ability to pay" scale. If you have money you pay, just like any hospital, if you don't have money you don't pay. Their motto has always been, Taking Care of Our Own, and that they do.

Now, I know one resident, Whit Bissell, was Alan Napier's son-in-law, even though only about 10 years apart, he lived out the last years of his life there. First he lived in a cottage, then a room and then the hospital. He had to give up his pensions and social security and give to the hospital in order to live there. Of course he got an allotment of spending money,etc.It is a marvelous place and is not like anything anyone has ever seen. Out there one can talk about the old days with craftspeople from the industry, wardrobe, hair people, carpenters, and then writers, directors and actors. While Whit lived out there, he would get together with Regis Toomey and Rose Hobart, Gale Sondergaard, I remember. For awhile anything that had to do with the home articles in papers and magazines would have those three in them.
Unlike most nursing homes, that part is separate from the cottages and even the part that has rooms, like an assisted living place. So the people that have dementia are not even around the ones that have their faculties, because let's face it, if one were around that all the time then, I believe, as they do, one starts to lose ones own mind as well.

Anyway, in 1983 I toured the place with Keenan Wynn and at the time one character actor by the name of William Campbell, who was in not one, but TWO classic Star Trek:TOS episodes, The Trouble With Tribbles as Koloth and Trelane in The Squire of Gothos, he was the manager of the place. I doubt he still works there since he will be 82 years old this year. At the time one very famous movie actress lived out there by the name of Mary Astor, lived in one of the little cottages. Stepin Fetchit, Johnny Weissmuller was out there as well, both of the dancing Nicholas brothers, Fayard and Harold both lived and died out there,

Now House Peters, Jr and Audrey Totter both live out there, people that we know anyway and I have suspected that TZ's Maxine Stuart is out there since she seems to have dropped out of sight, I keep meaning to send a letter to her out there and see if I get a reply. I am not sure of anyone else out there that we would know at present. I know DeForest Kelley died out there are he was far from destitute, he and his wife never had any children, just pets and he was loaded, but one would never know it, he was a very very nice unassuming man. He was one of my favorites that I got to meet and work with that I was not disappointed in what he, as a man, not one of his characters, was in real life. Bud Abbot died out there, but he was penniless at the end, big time gambler, but many many from the rich and famous to the poor and destitute take refuge out there, if not for their final flight, then to recuperate, as Weissmuller did. Some are only out there a short time in the hospital and die out there.

If anyone knows who else is out there now I would love to know. Audrey Totter and House Peters both respond to fan mail too.
Hope this sheds some light for ya.....
Woodrow

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:09 pm 

I was under the assumption that one HAROLD GOULD was living there a while back.

I could be wrong, but I do know that he responds to fanmail at a "Woodland Hills" address............. and this is where the home is located.

It may not be at the actual home itself, but I seem to remember someone at SA saying so.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:40 pm 
The General
The General

Well, I knew I was forgetting someone! I am sure there are others I left off as well, yes he lives out there too....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:44 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

DrMoreau wrote:
Anthony wrote:

Negative. Bela was living in an Apatment on Herald Way - 5620 I believe - Hollywood. In the movie, Ed Wood, they depict Bela living in a house, which he did have prior to 1951 when he lost it. This home is now owned by Johnny Depp.

Speaking of Johnny Depp, didn't they show Lugosi ending up in some kind of home in Ed Wood? Or was that some kind of rehab clinic for his heroin addiction?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:45 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah and I don't hink Harold Gould is destitute either. After all, he was in Freaky Friday.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:31 pm 

Not sure - it's been a while since I've seen the movie. I think in the movie though, he was living with Ed Wood in the end - again, it's been a while. And I believe it was morphine he was hooked on. None of that pussy stepped down stuff for Bela. :P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:36 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yeah too bad Plan Nine From Outer Space ended up being his last movie. :yack:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:52 am 

Anthony wrote:
Yeah and I don't hink Harold Gould is destitute either. After all, he was in Freaky Friday.

I knew you wrote this in a joking manner..... but if you look at IMDB, he has a HUGE list of credits.

Nothing really huge, but he was in a ton of stuff, and was a good, solid, second-tier actor in my opinion.

Cetainly he isn't destitute. He seems to like the "atmosphere" and being an actor, so I am sure he is there by choice too, I believe.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:22 am 
The General
The General

Well, I guess I didn't explain it good enough or you didn't read my book above about that place. As I said it is the Disneyland of Assisted living/nursing homes, etc. and Harold Gould lives in one of the cottages and they are VERY nice! I don't know if I can find a photo of any....if I do I will post one...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:44 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Anthony wrote:

I knew you wrote this in a joking manner..... but if you look at IMDB, he has a HUGE list of credits.

Nothing really huge, but he was in a ton of stuff, and was a good, solid, second-tier actor in my opinion.

Cetainly he isn't destitute. He seems to like the "atmosphere" and being an actor, so I am sure he is there by choice too, I believe.

TZ DZ fan

Oh, well there ya go. Actually, I really like Freaky Friday, I think I have it on DVD somewhere. I liked it even better than the original or the TV movie version with Shelly Long and Gabby Hoffman.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:48 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
Anthony wrote:

TZ DZ fan

Plus he's still a hell of a character and supporting actor. He was also in Ransom For A Dead Man, the second Columbo TV pilot movie, which was then made into a series, of course. Speaking of which, they just reran the Simpsons episode where Nelson imitated Columbo's cathchphrases. They even did their own version of the mystery movie theme with different Simpsons character playing the detective characters, like the Texas billionaire as McCloud, Dr. Hibbert as Quincy and Mr. Burns and Mr. Smithers as McMillan and Wife :clap: .

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:51 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

One of Harold Gould's most memorable roles for me was his portrayl of the original Howard Cunningham in the Love American Style episode "Love and the Happy Day.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:52 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

How do I get a new avatar?

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:54 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

LOS ANGELES - House Peters Jr., a TV actor who became the original Mr. Clean on Proctor & Gamble's commercials for household cleaners, died Wednesday. He was 92.

Peters died of pneumonia at the Motion Picture and Television Fund Hospital in Los Angeles, said his son, Jon Peters.

The elder Peters' most memorable role came as Mr. Clean — a muscular man with a bald head, a hoop earring and a no-nonsense attitude toward dirt and grime. From the late 1950s and into the early 1960s, Peters Jr. helped advertise the famous household cleaner with the trademark jingle, "Mr. Clean, Mr. Clean."

Peters Jr. played many supporting roles through his career, including working with Roy Rogers and Gene Autry on their television shows. He also appeared in "Perry Mason," "Gunsmoke," "The Twilight Zone" and "Lassie."

"He always played the heavy," Jon Peters said, referring to his father's customary roles as a villain or brawny character. "Even though he wasn't happy about being cast in those roles, he worked really hard at it."

His father's acting career spanned 1935-1967, according to his Web site. He also wrote an autobiography, "Another Side of Hollywood," in which he describes growing up the son of an actress and silent film actor in Beverly Hills. His father, Robert House Peters Sr., has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Peters Jr. was never a leading man, but played many character parts in cowboy movies and won a Golden Boot Award in 2000 for his lifetime contributions to the western genre, his son said.

Peters Jr. was born Jan. 12, 1916, in New Rochelle, N.Y., as Robert House Peters Jr. His son said Peters Jr. studied drama in high school and became inspired to pursue an acting career.

He also is survived by his wife, Lucy Pickett, a daughter, another son and four grandchildren.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:56 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Link

Irene Dailey, a late-blooming actress perhaps best known for her roles in television soap operas and for her portrayal of the quick-witted, sensitive mother, Nettie Cleary, in the 1964 Tony Award-winning drama “The Subject Was Roses,” died on Sept. 24 in Santa Rosa, Calif. She was 88 and lived in Guerneville, Calif.

The cause was colon cancer, her friend Arleen Lorrance said.

From 1974 to 1986, and then again from 1988 to 1994, Miss Dailey played Liz Matthews in “Another World” — an upper-class-bred matriarch of a middle-class family dealing with the convolutions of life in the fictional town of Bay City. For that role, Miss Dailey won a Daytime Emmy Award for outstanding actress in 1979.

For a year, in 1969, Miss Dailey played a role in the crime-mystery soap opera “The Edge of Night.” Her many other television credits included appearances on shows like “Ben Casey,” “Dr. Kildare,” “The Twilight Zone” and “The Defenders.” Miss Dailey’s film credits include roles in “No Way to Treat a Lady,” “Five Easy Pieces” and “The Amityville Horror.”

It was only after appearing in a long series of Broadway flops that, in 1964, Miss Dailey received critical acclaim in the United States. It was for her portrayal of the mother in Frank D. Gilroy’s three-character drama, “The Subject Was Roses.” The play dealt with an incompatible couple’s love for their 21-year-old son (with Jack Albertson as the father and Martin Sheen as the son) after the son returns after three years in the Army.

“Miss Dailey’s Nettie is a luminous creation,” Howard Taubman wrote in The New York Times. “She can suggest hurt and desiccation with a stricken glance. Wearing a plain hat and coat and holding her purse, she can turn to walk out of her apartment so that her back conveys her utter defeat and despair.”

Miss Dailey was born in New York City on Sept. 12, 1920, the daughter of Daniel and Helen Ryan Dailey. Her father was the manager of the Roosevelt Hotel in Manhattan. Her brother Dan Dailey gained fame as a song-and-dance man and Hollywood actor.

At 8, Irene Dailey was dancing in vaudeville, and at 18 she was working in summer stock. With consistent bad luck, she kept winning parts in what she once said were 13 of Broadway’s worst shows. “Miss Lonelyhearts,” for example, had a nine-day run.

Miss Dailey ran a lampshade store and worked as a waitress while making the Broadway rounds. Then, in 1960, she tried her luck in London. She was the 47th actress to try out for the lead in “Tomorrow — With Pictures,” about an American woman trying to take over a British newspaper empire. She got the part and drew rave reviews.

“Every plummy-voiced English rose of an imitation actress should be dragged to see Miss Dailey,” The Daily Express critic wrote. “She sweats love, breathes hate, weeps desire.”

In an interview with Time magazine at the time, Miss Dailey said: “I shall be 40 in September. I have nothing, really nothing. I’m not married. I have no children.”

“All I really care about is the theater,” she continued. “But now, for the first time, I know in my stomach that my work is good.”

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:48 pm 
The General
The General

Well doggone it! I had not heard of her passing....
About a year ago I got a nice MUTE photo signed by her and she also sent one of her and her brother Dan, the song and dance man/actor, she also sent a lovely note. She was a very nice lady as kept signing until the end, looking at Star Tiger the address site.
That is sad news, always loved her in MUTE....one of the best of the hour longs, IMHO....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:42 pm 

Woodrow Mulligan wrote:
Well doggone it! I had not heard of her passing....
About a year ago I got a nice MUTE photo signed by her and she also sent one of her and her brother Dan, the song and dance man/actor, she also sent a lovely note. She was a very nice lady as kept signing until the end, looking at Star Tiger the address site.
That is sad news, always loved her in MUTE....one of the best of the hour longs, IMHO....

I was thinking that this was one you never got around to sending.
Sometimes these things get a bit "hazy" after time goes on.

Not to be a prick............but was this one of the ones you had a copy signed for me also woodrow?

I can only remember a few names at this point.
If you want to respond in PM or in the memorabilia thread thats cool too.

R.I.P.

TZ DZ fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:33 pm 

RIP, Irene. Glad to hear you were a better person in life than Miss Frank. ;)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:22 am 
The General
The General

TZ DZ Fan wrote:
[

Not to be a prick............but was this one of the ones you had a copy signed for me also woodrow?
TZ DZ fan

Actually she is one that Andrew steered me towards and he sent me the grab on it too, sorry I thought you had gotten her some time ago as well?? I know it all does get fuzzy.....I was trying to find my list of people I have sent out yesterday as I don't have them all on ST....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:12 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Dammit! Willoughby must be a pretty busy town now. :(

Post subject: Wayne Heffley 1927-2008
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:50 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Just wanted to note the passing of Wayne Heffley who played Wyatt in "The Odyssey of Flight 33" and also appeared as one of the movers in "Black Leather Jackets" He passed away on November 19th from kidney failure.

http://www.soapoperadigest.com/news/breaking/

Wayne's grandson is guitarist Jason Becker.

http://www.jasonbecker.com/

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:50 pm 

Sad News, RIP Wayne.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:56 am 
The General
The General

...yeah...co-sign on that one....

I believe TZ DZ just got a bunch of stuff signed by him as well......

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:06 pm 
The General
The General

Alvin Ganzer

Director of many television series, including four classic Twilight Zone episodes, (well, three classic and one dud, IMHO, What You Need, The Hitch-Hiker, Nightmare as a Child, and The Mighty Casey)

Alvin Ganzer, 97, a prolific director of such TV series as "Police Woman," "Route 66" and "Hawaiian Eye" from the 1950s through the '70s, died of natural causes Jan. 3 at his home in Poipu, Hawaii, his daughter Carolynn Finnegan said.

Born in Cold Spring, Minn., on Aug. 27, 1911, Ganzer moved with his family to Los Angeles as a child. He attended Manual Arts High School then got a job at Paramount Studios delivering the mail.

He became an assistant director of films, including 1944's "Going My Way" starring Bing Crosby and "The Paleface," a 1948 comedy with Bob Hope.

His first directing credit came with "Midnight Serenade" featuring Peggy Lee in 1947, and he followed with other short musical films.

Ganzer also wrote and directed "The Leather Saint," a 1956 film that starred John Derek.

From the 1950s onward, Ganzer worked primarily in television, directing dozens of episodic series, including "The Twilight Zone," "Men Into Space," "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." and "Ironside."

He retired in the late 1970s and later moved to Hawaii with his third wife, Muriel.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:43 am 

RIP, Alvin

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:50 pm 
The General
The General

Maxine Cooper, Amy in And When The Sky Was Opened

April 15, 2009
Maxine Cooper Gomberg, an actress best known for playing the secretary in the 1955 film noir classic "Kiss Me Deadly," has died. She was 84.

Gomberg, who also was a social activist, died of natural causes April 4 at her Los Angeles home, her family said.

The crime thriller "Kiss Me Deadly," loosely based on the Mickey Spillane novel, marked the feature film debut of the actress, then known as Maxine Cooper, and Cloris Leachman. Gomberg was Velda, the affectionate and trusty secretary of Ralph Meeker's Mike Hammer, the antisocial private eye at the heart of the film.

"Kiss Me Deadly" is considered a "seminal film noir," said Alan K. Rode, an expert in film noir, the black-and-white shadowy films that examine the underbelly of society.

The movie "was kind of a touchstone for the postwar, Cold War nuclear era, and a signpost for what was to be the end of film noir as film noir morphed into television programs," he said.

For decades, Meeker and Gomberg were at the center of a mystery surrounding the end of "Kiss Me Deadly," the Robert Aldrich film about the paranoia of the Atomic Age.

Since the early 1970s, the movie's original ending, in which "Velda" and "Mike" watch the beach house explode, had disappeared. Instead, prints featured a truncated finale that ended with the explosion and implied that the characters had not survived.

A film editor turned detective helped restore 64 seconds of footage in the late 1990s after tracking down Aldrich's personal print. Why the ending had been mutilated in the first place remains unresolved.

Aldrich cast Gomberg in "Kiss Me Deadly" after seeing her in a Los Angeles theatrical production of "Peer Gynt." She also had small roles in the Aldrich films "Autumn Leaves" (1956) and "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" (1962).

After marrying screenwriter and producer Sy Gomberg in 1957, she quit acting in the early 1960s to raise her family and rally Hollywood activists.

With her husband, she helped organize actors, writers and executives to march in the 1960s with the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. in Montgomery, Ala. She also marshaled the entertainment community to participate in protests against the Vietnam War and nuclear weapons, among other national and local causes.

She was born May 12, 1924, in Chicago to Richard Cooper, a General Electric distributor, and his wife, Gladys.

While at Bennington College in Vermont, Gomberg became interested in theater and finished her dramatic training at the Pasadena Playhouse.

In 1946, she went to Europe to perform in shows for soldiers. Gomberg stayed for five years, appearing in BBC-TV and theatrical productions.

Upon returning to Los Angeles, Gomberg appeared mainly on TV throughout the 1950s in such shows as "Dragnet," "Perry Mason" and "The Twilight Zone."

Later in life, she developed an interest in photography. When Gomberg's photographs illustrated the Howard Fast book "The Art of Zen Meditation," The Times' 1977 review called the book "beautiful."

Gomberg's husband died in 2001 at age 82. She is survived by a son, Chris; two daughters, Katherine and Marsha; and five grandchildren.

Services were private.

Instead of flowers, the family suggests donating to the Beacon Academy, 477 Longwood Ave., Boston, MA 02215, or Wise & Healthy Aging, 1527 4th St., Santa Monica, CA 90401.

Post subject: Frank Aletter, RIP :-(
Unread postPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:36 pm 
The General
The General

Well, I just noticed this....sad news....he was a very nice man, too nice for Show-Biz I can tell ya that!
May 15, 2009
Frank Aletter, a veteran character actor who starred in the 1960s situation comedies "Bringing Up Buddy" and "It's About Time," has died. He was 83.

Aletter, who was once married to actress and former Miss America Lee Meriwether, died of cancer Wednesday at his home in Tarzana, said his daughter Kyle Oldham.
Aletter, a 1950s Broadway actor whose credits included the musical comedy "Bells Are Ringing," appeared in a number of movies, including "Mister Roberts" and "Tora! Tora! Tora!," but he was best known for his extensive work in television.

In the 1960-61 series "Bringing Up Buddy," he played bachelor Buddy Flower, an investment counselor living with his meddlesome spinster aunts.

In "It's About Time," a 1966-67 series, he and Jack Mullaney played astronauts who crack the time barrier and wind up back on Earth during the Stone Age, where they are befriended by a couple named Shad and Gronk (Imogene Coca and Joe E. Ross).

Aletter also played Cara Williams' husband in "The Cara Williams Show," a 1964-65 situation comedy, and he was a regular on the 1970-71 sitcom "Nancy."

As a guest actor, he appeared in more than 100 series, including "Perry Mason," "The Lucy Show," "MASH," "Kojak," "All in the Family," "Fantasy Island," "Murder, She Wrote" and "Dallas."

"He was one of the faces that everybody would stop and ask, 'Do I know you from anywhere?' " said Oldham, recalling that her father was riding in the passenger seat of a car in New York City years ago when a homeless car-window washer came up and said, "Hey, dude, I just saw you on 'What's Happening!!' "

Aletter, who was born in Queens, N.Y., on Jan. 14, 1926, served in the Army from 1946 to 1948, during which he was in a Special Service unit in Germany.

After his discharge, he enrolled in the Dramatic Workshop at the New School for Social Research in Manhattan.

He made his Broadway debut in 1950 when he replaced Eli Wallach in the role of Stefanowski in "Mister Roberts." His other Broadway credits include "Wish You Were Here" and "Time Limit!"

Aletter served for many years on the board of directors of the Screen Actors Guild.

His 1958 first marriage to Meriwether ended in divorce in the early `70s.

In addition to Oldham, he is survived by his second wife of 25 years, Estella; his other daughter, Lesley Aletter; his stepdaughters Alix Hodes and Julia Hodes;.and his granddaughter, Ryan Oldham.

Instead of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:39 pm 
The General
The General

Just noticed they didn't mention his TZ episode The Parallel as Connacher!

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:49 am 
The General
The General

Joseph Wiseman, a stage and screen actor who played the sinister title character in "Dr. No," the 1962 film that introduced Sean Connery as James Bond, has died. He was 91.

Wiseman, who had been in declining health in the last few years, died Monday at his home in Manhattan, said his daughter, Martha Graham Wiseman.

The Canadian-born Wiseman already had appeared on Broadway numerous times and in films such as "Detective Story" and "Viva Zapata!" when he was cast as the mysterious villain opposite Connery's 007.

The diabolical Dr. No was a formidable foe.

As Los Angeles Times movie critic Philip K. Scheuer put it: "Out pfui-ing Fu Manchu, Dr. No reveals himself to be the head of a vast underworld organization called SPECTER and dedicated to the destruction and domination of mankind. And, by gad, he has the equipment to pull it off."

Wiseman hadn't an inkling that he was participating in the launch of what became one of the most successful movie franchises of all time.

"I had no idea it would achieve the success it did," he told The Times in 1992 with a laugh. "As far as I was concerned, I thought it might be just another grade-B Charlie Chan mystery."

Although Wiseman was part of movie history, his daughter said he viewed "Dr. No" with "great disdain."

"He was horrified in later life because that's what he was remembered for," she said. "Stage acting was what he wanted to be remembered for."

Born in Montreal on May 15, 1918, Wiseman began acting in summer stock as a teenager and made his Broadway debut in 1938 playing a bit part in Robert E. Sherwood's "Abe Lincoln in Illinois."

Over the years, he appeared in Broadway productions such as "Antony and Cleopatra," "Detective Story," "The Lark," "Incident at Vichy," "In the Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer" and a revival of "The Tenth Man."

Among his other film credits are "The Night They Raided Minsky's," "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz" and "The Valachi Papers."

On television, Wiseman played the recurring role of crime boss Manny Weisbord on the 1980s series "Crime Story." Over the years, he was a guest star on series such as "The Untouchables," "The Twilight Zone," "The Streets of San Francisco" and "Law & Order."

In 2001, he was back on Broadway in the National Actors Theater production of "Judgment at Nuremberg," playing opposite Maximilian Schell.

"A life being enacted onstage is a thing of utter fascination for me," Wiseman told the New York Times. "And acting, it may begin out of vanity, but you hope that it's taken over by something else."

With a laugh, he added; "I hope I've climbed over the vanity hurdle."

Wiseman's second wife, dancer and choreographer Pearl Lang, died in February. In addition to his daughter from his first marriage to Nell Kinard, he is survived by his sister, Ruth Wiseman.

dennis.mclellan@latimes.com

Copyright © 2009, The Los Angeles Times