Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:09 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Honesty time....are you scared by horror films or television of the present or does the stuff from the past freak you out more? Simple question...

I was reading something on netflix that kind of annoyed me. It had a "Common Sense" Rating/Memo whatever you want to call it for the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre that reads as follows

Common Sense Note
Parents need to know that although this movie has some blood and gore, the amount is noticeably less than what appears in modern horror movies. Also missing here is the extremely profane language and sex/nudity that are very much a part of current scary movies. Despite this, the movie is still way too scary and intense for younger teens--if you watch with your older teen, you might want to discuss how horror movies have changed over time. Do they think the additional violence in modern horror flicks makes them scarier?

What the f@%k is that suppose to mean? TCM is rated R, or PG16 on netflix by the way. I think I saw it when I was 12, but thats besides the point ;)
Personally I disagree that there is more sex/nudity in films today then there was in the 70s/80s as well as blood and gore, with few exceptions. I tend to find that most of the stuff during the Slasher era is more graphic, it just doesnt look as real as it does today.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:27 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
I always want to know if there is Sex, Violence, Nudity, Offensive materials, Adult themes and Homosexuality in a TV show or Movie! :D
It helps me to decide if I want to enjoy it or not! :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:41 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Keep in mind that when The Planet of the Apes 1st came out - it was rated G! General audience. In 1981 it became a PG movie and in 1987 a PG13. Are movies 40 years old getting naughtier as they mature or are narrow minded scapegoatists that even censor cartoons the real problem?

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:23 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Happy
Good Q. I saw Amityville Horror and Texas Chain Saw Massacre as a boy, so I think I got over my fear of movies early.

The old horror movies were more suspenseful, imho.

Please name some scary movies, gang.

Z

Image We are Zone Money. PtE is #1

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:52 pm 

Classic Pre 1950 Horror: {NPO}

Dracula (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
The Wolf Man (1941)
The Ghoul (1933)
Cat People (1942)
The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942)
The Mummy (1932)
Son of Frankenstein (1939)
Mad Love (1935)
Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)
White Zombie (1932)

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:45 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

Although the newer stuff is solid, and can be a bit scary, I think the older stuff wins hands down.

The majority of todays stuff uses alot of cgi, and other effects, whereas the older stuff used more "traditional"/simplistic effects, lighting, angles and cues, to scare the viewer.

I don't really watch much horror these days, for a variety of reasons.

But I will leave you with this thought..........

I remember being about 13 or so, when I first saw bits of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre".
I still can't forget , being scared to walk down the street by myself in broad daylight, at 1 in the afternoon,directly after seeing it.
I doubt any movie today would have a similar effect ON ME.

TZ DZ fan

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:52 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
I think the older stuff seems scarier if you saw it as a youth. I saw "The Exorcist" as a wee 11 year old and it scarred my little mind. I finally watched it again for the first time since then about three weeks ago. I was surprised at how scary it still was, just not to the level I remember it as a youngling. Most older movies aren't really that scary anymore.

I don't think the horror movies made today develop suspense and frights as well as the older ones do. Some of them try. I thought "The Descent" did a good job of that. Most movies today would rather be repulsive and torturous in the way they deliver horror. Oh...and they rely WAY too much on jump scares. Jump scares are too often used instead of building tension and dread. Probably because its easier to do.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:42 am 

Perhaps one of the best setup the scare/horror movies of the last decade was the original "Final Destination." A Hitchcock meets horror. Good setups with winding tension. Sure - there was gore to be sure - but it had an older/edge of the seat feel. Its sequels were all about the gore and the kill, but the original was truly a classic done in todays world.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:30 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Cool! Good Recommendation, DrM.

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:44 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
Sadly, special effects really date some movies and what may have seemed like a floating vampire child in 1978 looks like a badly made up kid on wires in 2010. Saying that, I do feel that black and white adds a suspense and tone that colour seems to diminish. "Halloween" and "The Thing" are both by my favourite director (John Carpenter) and still hold up very well. "Ringu" is awesome and very atmospheric and is probably so since it doesn't rely on special effects so much.

I love the horror movies from the 1960s and 1970s (particularly Amicus and Hammer productions) which probably helped desensitise me from the horror genre. They were spooky but I watched with my family, during daylight hours and they weren't exactly gorefests. "Masque of the Red Death" is a personal favourite and there's barely a drop of blood to be seen. Vincent Price is powerfully haunting and there's a pervading air of doom throughout the movie.

I'd go as far as saying that the movies are as scary now as they have ever been. It's unfortunately that executives need to fulfill special effects requirements and the like to make the 'now now now' generation pay any attention to their movies.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:07 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Yes! "Halloween" and "The Thing"...my two favorite horror movies!

You have excellent taste MrR...

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:40 pm 
Post Master General
Post Master General

My Mood: Ecstatic
Greetings All,

I am sorry for coming in late in this soiree. Blood & violence doesn't equate to a good scare in my book. I don't really watch a whole lot of current or modern horror films for this reason. I too am particularly fond of the old Hammer & Roger Corman films. I agree that they may not be 100% scary in today's CGI & violence for shock horror world. They do, however, have a certain camp and charm that compensate for the budgetary underscoring values, not to mention gore. What they lacked in budget they more than made up for with atmosphere & gorgeous women.

Have Fun & Happy Posting,

Phineas J. Whoopee

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:02 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

The past style. It's all about suspense, twists and turns and just a little blood and gore but the scariest stuff is always implied, letting your mind imagine the rest and fill in the blanks. CGI and more blood does not equate to scary and good horror. Much of today's youth does not seem to realize this. Damn kids! (shakes fist at computer screen)

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:20 pm 

Are there any good slasher films?

Among my favorites are:

Blood and Black Lace (1965) by Mario Bava. Perhaps the 1st actual Slasher movie made. Campy and low budget - you bet. Shock value and brutal slaying of fashion models - great! In the slasher genre, I hardly ever hear this movie mentioned, perhaps because of its age or obscurity? The original and probably one of the better slasher films.

Black Christmas (1974) by Bob Clark. Saw this as a triple feature in the late 70s and it scared the hell out of me. The remake didn't have the suspense built into it that the original does. Bob Clark is an over looked director mainly remembered for Porky's 1 and 2 or maybe "The Christmas Story." But also in his repertoire was "Murder by Decree," "Dead of Night" and "Turk182!"

Halloween (1978) by John Carpenter. Mostly filmed around my neighborhood and places I traveled as a boy which added to its creepiness. A purely evil entity that can't be killed - perfect. The remake sucks mainly due to the fact that they took Michael from a normal suburban setting at 8 years old and placed him in a dysfunctional family. Best things about the remake were Malcolm McDowell, William Forsythe, and Danielle Harris {who was in Halloween 4 and 5} for those keeping score.

Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) by Wes Craven. Although Craven had done 2 other slasher-esque films prior to NoES, "Last House on the Left" and "The Hills Have Eyes," this is his best creation. Also filmed in my neighboring community of Monrovia, this had some great scenes and memorable slasher/horror elements.

Just my thoughts on the whole slasher film - is it horror take.