Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:00 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Happy
I hate the fact that so many people ignore or criticize great new movies which they ought to be impressed by.

Today’s movie audiences are like a group of spoiled children at a birthday party who expect a bigger cake, more flavors of ice cream, a funnier clown, and a real donkey to pin the tail on with a nice long sharp pin.

Is it any wonder that studios heads quake in their boots when asked to invest millions of dollars in movie projects which might crash-and-burn at the box office because John Q. Public doesn’t know a good movie from a beef burrito at Taco Bell?

I’m not saying that bad movies aren’t being made. I’m just saying that modern audiences have shown a sad lack of intelligence and discrimination when it comes to knowing the good ones from the bad ones. This tends to drive the “suits” in Hollywood crazy because they don’t know which movies to make –- especially when most of these Hollywood types don’t know a good one from a bad one themselves!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:05 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
Just three words, Return On Equity. Movies cost so much to produce these days that they pretty much have to follow a formula and have a fairly predictable rate of return of investment. :wtf:

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:52 am 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Basically - Hollywood stopped looking for original ideas and are retreading old movies and TV series. They have an established platform, the original writers probably are dead or are no longer entitled to remake royalties, or it is a commodity that the studios already own. When a new concept or creative story is made, it is generally independent and doesn't get the budget it deserves.

Profit comes first. How much can we make opening weekend? How long in the theaters should it run if it doesn't hit projected estimates. How soon can we get it to DVD/Blu Ray and other medias to recoup our losses. Movies used to be an art form now they a industry churned out copies of what once was art and is simply poorly crafted imitations.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:48 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
Do I criticize "supposedly" good movies? Yes. Do I ignore "blockbuster" hits? Yes. For the very same reason I'm suppose to go in the first place.
Hollywood is a joke. They big studios play monopoly with the movie goers money and constantly rape the film viewing experience and imagination when it comes to new fresh film ideas. When it comes to taking chances these days on movies that should and NEED to be made, studios act like its a flip of a coin when you stand to lose hundreds of millions.
Most of my favorite flicks are either low budget, or independent films where it doesnt take millions of dollars worth of computer graphics to tell me a damn good story. I am not a supporter of wanting something bigger or better everytime I go to the theatre. It cant work that way. You can only set the bar so high.
I can say that one good thing about movies of the past few years, they seem to be increasing in length and have more depth Films that usually lasted 90 minutes now seem to go like 2 hours. More depth is good.
So in my opinion good movies are easy to make, its the big ones that are ruining the film industry.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:54 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Happy
Great point, SVB. One reason it might be true that big budget films often turn out to be gargantuan messes is that there's too damn cooks in the kitchen. The bigger the budget the more nervous the "suits" become, so they poke their noses into the production and yank it in three different directions. We end up with a disjointed movie with botched editing and great scenes deleted for the wrong reasons.

The common denominator between good independent films and good big-budget films is that one person (or a collaborative team like the Wachowskis brothers) are allowed to create the movie as they see fit.

A fine example of this is Avatar, which stayed true to Cameron's vision for the movie, and it turned out to be a masterpiece.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:17 pm 

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:54 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

Bud hit the nail on the head. I've often heard that about Citizen Kane. It had the one writer and Welles was able to direct and make the movie, working closely with the writer, as he saw fit. That's why there's that scene in Ed Wood where Welles says that Kane was his best film because "the studio didn't touch a frame of it."

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:02 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

I'm also with Dr. M on this. Hollywood just got lazier, than they even used to be.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:53 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

I think the minimum requirements for a very good film are the ff.: a good script (that is, a well-paced, logical, and entertaining story, and appropriate dialogue if needed), competent actors who are appropriate for the characters mentioned in the script, decent production set design and any special effects, and a competent director who can put the three together. With that, the cost should not be very high.

An excellent film will have, in addition to these, a script that contains a theme that makes the viewer question one or more aspects about the human condition. In short, what results is not only an entertaining story but a meaningful one.

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:59 am 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Good point, Anton. Unfortunately or fortunately, these are in the hands of the independents and not the Major Studios - who aren't even Studios just names released under. As Bud pointed out, Avatar was under the close constrains of Cameron who has already paid his dues and stands among the Spielbergs, Lucas's, etc and can get away from manipulating suits who care nothing for the art form only the money and merchandising that can be made from such endeavors.