Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starting Points
Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:46 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic
Please discuss how or why you became a fan of Sci Fi, Fantasy shows, Horror, and Anthology classic shows and how you discovered the PTE,thanks.

My story soon to come. 8)

PtE is #1Image

Post subject: Re: Starting Points
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:49 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My story:

I was born in Michigan. My family moved to New York a month after my birth. We lived there for 4 years, so yes my recollections of NY are few and
hazy, yet they are permanently imprinted in my psyche. This was back in the 1970s.

We moved back to a small town in Michigan, where I would watch shows on one of those huge televisions that were housed in wooden boxes, I remember the tv remote was a large black box with 2 buttons, one for volume/turning off and on and the other was for changing channels, it only changed up, so you better be careful switching channels, heh heh.

My favorite show was The Twilight Zone I would religiously try to catch it in the afternoon ( when it aired). I remember The Lonely, The Hitch Hiker, Mirror Image, Where is Everybody? Will the Real Martian Please Stand up,WD: back then, and a few others as the first episodes I watched, these all are very dear to me. ( Star Trek was and is my 2nd favorite show, Love Spock, Kirk and crew).
I believe my growing up in New York, and then to a small town that was sort of like the town of Homewood in Walking Distance, helped me relate to the Zone. However, I wish my town had a merry go round, and an old timey ice cream shop, alas...

The Twilight Zone( TOS) has so many great episodes, filled with great stories and actors, and great morals, and I must mentioned the great Rod Serling ( RIP), his narrations, his writing/scripts, and unforgettable voice make TZ the best show for me. I am always loyal to the Zone. The show holds many fond memorie s for me. From: You are traveling to another dimension, to seeing a lone man on a asteroid living with a ro-bit, to dolls in a barrel, to tall bald aliens
taking humans for a ride, etc.., these and more were always topics of discussions among my peers, sadly, we all scattered.

Thus, my devotion to the TZ and Sci Fi shows led to find like minded fans to discuss the shows, the stories if you will, the morals, the visuals, the beautiful actresses, etc.... Thus, I am lucky that the PTE exists, thanks good sirs. And here we are. 8)

Your Turn Please:

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:19 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Btw, you can be as brief or as descriptive as you want to, its all good.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:44 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Esoteric
bored kid, liked off-the-wall stuff

out in the sticks. grew up with one channel that never aired sci-fi etc, didn't watch any TZ till late teens.
I remember we could get a channel from a city when the weather was good and watching Star Trek on Saturdays. watching and hoping the picture would hold out till end of epi. friday night they played monster movies and I'd stay up and watch them.

once we got freak weather and got another station playing monster movies every afternoon one week.

stumbled on here whilst researching an OL episode. I love original OL. finally got to watch in Tampa, they played every Saturday morning.

new stuff sux hee hee

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:50 am 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

My Mood: Neutral
I got hooked on a very early age after moving to Maryland after my Dad got transferred back from being stationed in Europe. I loved seeing what people thought the future would look like. Also loved Science Fiction paperbacks and comic books.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:14 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Great stuff, Guys,

Sailorsam, it seems you have quite an interesting life, what kind of monster movies did you watch? King Kong, Godzilla?

Also, if you do not mind me asking, how old were you when you first caught The Outer Limits?, I was 17 or 18, watched a handful in a Marathon,
also, may I ask what are your favorite episodes? Do you have favorite TZ episodes? ( PS, I am a huge fan of Star Trek, so I am glad you mentioned the show).

BTC, from what you wrote: you too have a very interesting life, do you own that book and comic? Does 'the future' hold up well to expectations? Do you think this is the future, or are there things you are waiting for like Flying Cars, Hovercrafts, Jet packs, communication badges?

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:35 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

the one channel I remember playing various 'zilla movies (Monster Zero) and 'The Raven', the light one with Price/Karloff/Lorre (how's that for a cast?)

I read about OL before ever watching any, which I didn't till I was about 24. I think I like 'Nightmare' best, also 'Expanding Man' and 'The Inheritors' ('It is good, isn't it, God?'). Steve Ihnat, gone way too soon. (he also played a Federation Officer in ST, the one with Yvonne Craig in green paint.)

ever watch the Gargoyles movie (about 1972 with Cornell Wilde?) that plays very much like an extended OL ep.

I remember vividly the TZ ep with Agnes Moorehead in the farmhouse!

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:54 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Sailor. you have great taste in OL episodes, yes all good. There are so many fine episodes, I wanted to say OL is under rated, yet I have to say its under aired,
I am sure if more people were exposed to OL, it would have a greater following.

Sadly, never caught Gargoyles movie (about 1972 with Cornell Wilde?). I will have to one day, thanks for the heads up.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:57 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
I'm more an 70s dystopian sci-fi fan, and a big 80s star wars /mad max/ alien franchise sci-fi fan. They made so many rip offs of the previously mentioned films that there is a gold mine for fans to find. If you can tolerate the cheesiness that is. :lol: I like anything post apocalyptic in regards to sci fi, and not as much a fan of outer space stuff unless it is based in reality . I have never really gotten Into the 50s and 60s science fiction , i dont know why. Maybe its not nostalgic enough for me like many others here, so it lessens the impact. The space opera style i refer to it. The ufo / alien stuff is sometimes tolerable.
I also discovered twilight zone at an early age, so that had an impact. I still haven't really seen The Outer Limits but I plan on tackling that series someday. I look forward to it too, it beimg such a companion show in spirit to the TZ.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:45 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

You have great tastes, good SVB, I am also a fan of dystopian sci fi, what do you think of Blade Runner?

Glad you caught the TZ bug early, so did I, as a preteen it really captured me, thankfully.

I so hope you catch TOL, love to see your insight and reviews.

Z

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:10 am 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

Mr.Z wrote:

Sadly, never caught Gargoyles movie (about 1972 with Cornell Wilde?). I will have to one day, thanks for the heads up.

Z

on youtube
best watched on an autumn evening

Link

(spoiler)
{the narrator / Head Gargoyle voice is the Control Voice from OL}

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:04 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
My Story: Born and Raised in Los Angeles. Grew up when there were only the three Networks and four local stations.
Channel 5 - KTLA - back in the day - used to run Night Time Movies. They got me connected to the
Universal classics: Frankenstein, Dracula, The Wolfman, etc.
Godzilla, Rodan, Giant Robot, etc.
They would also run The Twilight Zone from Noon to 1:00 monday thru friday and the original marathons on Thanksgiving and 4th of July.

Channel 13 ran Star Trek reruns/syndication on Saturday and Sundays 4 ~ 5 pm, Outer Limits from 2 to 3

Channel 9 syndicated Thriller, Wild, Wild West and later Elvira in the 80s.

I also had the good fortune to have Night Galley, Ghost Stories/Circle of Fear, Dark Shadows, Kolchak, 6 Million/Bionic, BSG-TOS all airing during my formative years to to corrupt my tender imagination.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:43 pm 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

Great story, Dr.M,

So what was your first episode of the Zone? And TOL?

Are you a big fan of Trek? I like your tastes, they tend to fall towards the dark , me too.

One last Q, why did you pick Dr.Moreau as your screen name? Are you a big fan of that book, or movie?

( For the record, I picked my name from the love of Twilight Zone, I was Mr.ZZone, and and shortened it too Mr.Z).

Z

PtE is #1Image