Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Gas Prices
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:19 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Saw $2.85 a gallon yesterday.

The cheaper it gets the more I'm gonna waste it!!!! :evil:

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:23 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Neutral
I think the price is going down because of the threat of another global financial crisis. That's why stocks, commodities, etc., are also doing badly.

I remember the same thing happened after 2008.

Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:45 pm 
Beware! 10,000 Posts, Baby!

:wtf: What crisis? Stocks seem to be doing just fine. And why were we paying $3.50 a gallon and more? :x

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:37 am 
Zone Resident
Zone Resident

My Mood: Ecstatic

PtE is #1Image

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:14 am 

http://www.wect.com/story/27783113/obama-dont-get-used-to-low-gas-prices

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:38 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

My Mood: Esoteric
So why is the president "warning" it won't last forever? What exactly is the reason for the current decrease? Why was it so high before? Why will it not stay in this lower range?

Lowest cash price for regular around my area is about $2.45/gallon - if I go maybe 4-5 miles from my house I can get it for $2.35/gallon.

Courtesy of Dr. Moreau & PJW

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:41 pm 

:wtf: The Saudi's along with Barack Hussein want to bring the American Shale and fracking industries to it's knees. So that the mid-East will have a virtual monopoly on oil production. :x

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:56 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
$1.88

Soon bread will cost more then a gallon :o

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:05 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

StillValleyBard wrote:
$1.88

Soon bread will cost more then a gallon :o

Where I am, it already does (unless it's on sale).

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:03 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Beware The Creeper wrote:
:wtf: What crisis? Stocks seem to be doing just fine. And why were we paying $3.50 a gallon and more? :x

It's all over the news: stock, bond, and commodity markets in different countries volatile, oil prices dropping like what happened in '09, warnings of another financial crisis made last year, and more.

About oil prices, I read that they went up years ago because world conventional oil production reached a peak:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-I ... is-averted

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:58 pm 

:wtf: Hey Anton, I've got some oceanfront property in Iowa I'd like to sell to you. :ROTF:

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:15 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Beware The Creeper wrote:
:wtf: Hey Anton, I've got some oceanfront property in Iowa I'd like to sell to you. :ROTF:

Lots of news articles on the matter shared here:

http://www.theautomaticearth.com/debt-r ... y-16-2015/

Volatility in various markets (stocks, bonds, etc.), with several commodity prices crashing and lower oil prices affecting economies. For example,

http://www.businessinsider.com/copper-p ... ion-2015-1

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-02/c ... nd/5933532

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/01/14 ... 68886.html

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:41 pm 

:| Barack Hussein and the Saudi's are driving down oil prices so they can kill the Keystone Pipeline Deal, the domsetic Fracking and the Oil Shale industry. In other words to HARM the United States of America and it's economy under the guise of lower oil prices. Simple as that. :x

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:16 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

The problem is that copper prices are also dropping:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... -recession

and we're seeing volatility in bond yields and other commodities:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/15/busin ... ivity.html

Given that, we can only assume that the main cause of this deflationary period is the end of quantitative easing:

http://www.resilience.org/stories/2015- ... two-charts

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:59 am 

:| You are WAY over thinking this thing Anton. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:37 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Unlikely. When only oil prices go down, then manipulation is possible. But when demand in Europe also drops, commodities, bond, and stock markets become volatile, and various currencies, earnings, and inflation rates are affected, then we're looking at the threat of deflation. Here are some more articles which support my earlier message:

"World deflationary forces have swept away Switzerland's defences"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comm ... ences.html

"US flirts with deflation as prices fall by largest since financial crisis"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/econ ... risis.html

"The Risk Of Deflation In America Is Rapidly Escalating"

http://www.businessinsider.com/deflatio ... ing-2015-1

"Analysts fear China financial crisis as deflation looms"

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... a-analysts

"Spectre of deflation horrifies bankers, but Japan now has a taste for it"

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... ces-gyudon

"Plunging Oil Prices, Rising Debt Leaves Asia Staring at Deflation: Morgan Stanley"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2015-01-1 ... -says.html

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:52 am 

All you have to know is that if it hurts the United States, then Barack Hussein is all in. When it helps the United States he has to be dragged kicking and screaming. The price of oil is low because he talked the Saudi's into flooding the market to help kill off the Domestic Oil Production Market of the United States. Plain and simple. :x

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:48 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Actually, the goal is to strengthen Wall Street, which basically controls the U.S. Hence, Reaganomics since the early '80s coupled with the petrodollar from the early '70s onward, followed by bailouts during the last few years to keep the economy afloat. What is thought to be originating from the current administration has been around for decades.

Saudi Arabia cannot flood the market even if it wanted to do so. In fact, it tried after 2009 even when oil prices were high, and the world still had to rely on the shale industry to meet demand. To make matters worse, its production costs are higher than those of the shale industry.

Finally, copper, iron ore, bond, stock, and other markets are also facing similar problems. It is very unlikely that Saudi Arabia is manipulating all of these markets or that these other problems are coincidental, not to mention demand issues for Europe and China.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:10 pm 

If Saudi Arabia cannot flood the market, why are they doing it? As for Wall Street, they are awash in taxpayer bailout cash and have been artificially pumping up the stock market. Iron, copper and the metals can't be dropping in price since ObaMAOnomics has been such a smashing success. The Government has already told us these are the best of times. :oops:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:54 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

That's because oil prices aren't set by producers but by those who buy oil and speculate in the bourse. The same applies to copper and other commodities.

If there is a lack of credit, then routs take place across the board. Quantitative easing started decreasing last July; at the same time the World Bank and others started warning of another financial crisis. Not surprisingly, oil prices started leveling off. They went into free fall when the bailouts finally stopped after October, and similar is taking place across other markets. That's deflation and not market manipulation.

Why can't OPEC or even the U.S. cut production? They can't because they have to keep selling even at depressed prices to pay for their operations and cover loans.

Why were loans made? Because oil production costs went up. Why did that happen? Because conventional production has been in a plateau for almost a decade, which means more expensive oil from shale, tar sands, etc., are needed. Why are these more expensive? Because their energy returns are much lower. That's why for shale more wells have to be drilled each time just to maintain production. That's also why they are expected to peak after only a few years.

That's why it's important to see what is currently happening in light of what happened in 2008-2009. Oil prices went up because of a combination of conventional production peaking plus incredible levels of credit generated by Wall Street and used to speculate on almost everything, from home to oil prices. Meanwhile, the world economy could barely tolerate high oil prices (which reached $150 a barrel), and that together with fallout from financial risk-taking in the U.S. led to a crash for U.S. followed by the same in other countries (PIIGS, the Arab Spring, Japan, etc.).

In response to that economic crisis, central banks in different countries bailed out financial corporations in 2009. Soon, oil prices went up again as more people worldwide started spending using credit fueled from bailouts. That's also why bond, commodity, and stock markets rebounded, and why not just the U.S. government but others as well as various businesses kept claiming for five years that we have "recovery."

The problem is that the bailouts would not last, and when they ended, the global economy crashed again.

Now, the ECB is struggling to make up for the lack of U.S. bailouts, and China and Japan are figuring out what to do next. Meanwhile, Russia is divesting itself of U.S. treasuries and buying more IMF bonds and gold.

In short, what we are seeing is not so much Obamanomics or even Abenomics but Reaganomics: three decades of unregulated financial risk-taking by multinational finance corporations that both fueled the borrowing, spending, and consumption binge but also lead to the threat of a resource crunch, environmental damage on a significant scale, a credit crunch, and all of that propped up by pro-business governments worldwide and high levels of military spending.

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:41 pm 
The Pie Maker
The Pie Maker

Wow, I'm glad I asked. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:15 pm 

:wasted: Reaganomics, REALLY? So the idiot boy child President hasn't REALLY been President for the past 6 years?! BOY, can't even get in a It's ALL Bush's fault. George H W Bush either eh. :ROTF:

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:41 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Reaganomics doesn't refer to Reagan being President. It refers to economic policies that boil down to deregulation, which is what essentially happened from the early 1980s to the present. That's why overall spending (government, households, the military, businesses) started rising significantly during the three decades that followed. Unregulated derivatives rose to almost $400 trillion, with a global market notional value estimated at between $600 to over a quadrillion dollars.

Given that, it's no wonder that demand for oil and other resources increased significantly as well, especially in emerging markets from the early 1990s onward. Fallout from that, which included subprime lending, credit default swaps, volatility in bond, stock, and commodity markets, etc., was inevitable.

This explains why oil prices rose from 2005 onward: a combination of high production costs caused by peak oil coupled by incredible levels of credit used for speculation. This also explains why the economy crashed in 2008 (followed by various economies worldwide also facing crisis), followed by oil prices crashing in 2009 (together with BDI results), followed by bailouts from various governments to rescue Wall Street and multinational banks, then a steady increase in oil prices, stock markets, etc., worldwide using credit generated from these bailouts, and now another round of deflation as quantitative easing started unwinding last July.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:35 pm 

We have the worst economy since the great depression. Some economists, who are actually looking around to reality, call this the Greater Depression. We've just had a landslide mid-term election to protest what's going on. And, except for the Saudi's pumping out oil to destroy America's domestic innovation, we are just having more of the same. I really don't care what happened in the 80's, 90's and the mid 2000's. What really matters is what's going on today. And no amount of Bovine Feces is going to change what's happening now. :?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:53 am 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

The U.S. economy worsened because of exposure to over $400 trillion in unregulated derivatives. That did not appear suddenly but added up throughout several years. What prompted that financial speculation was deregulation which dominated from the 1980s onward. That's why during the next three decades businesses, citizens, and government borrowed and spent heavily.

Why were such levels of deregulation allowed? Because the government works for Wall Street. That's why the Fed is not a government central bank but a group of commercial banks. That's why the government had been deregulating and bailing out Big Business from Reagan to the present. That's why much of the wealth in the U.S. (and in the world) is controlled by only a minority of rich financiers. What about citizens? They voted for one Reagan clone after another in return for easy credit and tax cuts.

Saudi Arabia had not been producing oil significantly but the opposite. That's why it refuses external audits of its reserves. Meanwhile, the U.S. used shale oil to make up for lack of supply and because the price went up, and it's that shale oil plus tar sands and biofuels (not Saudi oil) that's been meeting increasing demand.

What led to increasing demand and allowed the world to buy oil at higher prices prices after the oil crash of 2009? Bailouts.

So why are not only oil but copper prices, and various markets (stocks, bonds, commodities) weakening or becoming volatile? Bailouts started unwinding last July and ended in November.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5