Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be

Episode: 31 - A Good Imagination

PtEImage

Original Air Date: May 2, 1961
Starring Cast: Patricia Barry, Ed Nelson, and Edward Andrews
Writer(s): Robert Bloch
Director: John Brahm

Frank Logan, husband to a lovely and much younger, Mrs. Louise Chase-Logan. While Mr. Logan has a vivacious appetite for literature, Mrs. Chase-Logan has the same yet indiscriminate appetite for men. But Mr. Logan has a million tried and true ways to resolve his wifes bad habit, all documented and in print from some of his favorite authors and a little of his own imagination.

Post subject: Re: A Good Imagination
Unread postPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:17 am 

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Episode 31 - A Good Imagination: How can you not love Edward F'N Andrews? This man was a consummate character actor in Hollywood during the 50s/60s/70s and briefly in the 80s. He could play the good guy, 2nd fiddle, bad guy, you name it. He had a certain style and appeal about him. Like him or hate him, you always remember him and his character portrayals. "A Good Imagination" is no exception. This is his 1st of 3 thrillers.

Accompanying Mr. Andrews is Patricia Barry as his faithfully adulteress wife. Even though there is only 5 ~ 7 years age difference between Andrews and Barry in real life, on screen, she could easily be 10 ~ 15 years younger. This is her 2nd of 3 Thrillers and each of her performances were in stellar episodes. A great female lead for any show and almost any genre.

Last we have, Ed Nelson in his 3rd of 4 Thriller appearances. Albeit his 1st 2 appearances we rather small, he makes up for his lack of screen time here. As the local handyman and - as usual - Mrs. Logan is in need of a good pair of hands. As I re-watched this episode I found it humorous how Burt Lancaster-esque Nelson's performance is here. An intense and in your face mouth breather and physical performance when pitching woo to Louise Chase-Logan.

Another fine Robert Bloch adaption of his own short story with John Brahm in the directors seat. This could have been an AHP or even a B Featurette - more so for its length than quality. Bloch wrote wonderful characters and Andrews truly brought Logan to life. Brahm's pacing and tempo keeps this rolling along and the time just flies as we see how Mr. Logan disposes of his wife's lovers and his enemies using classic, tried and true, great literature death methods. It pays to be a well read person as this episode points out.

8!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:23 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
No ghosts, vampires or zombies to be found here, just Edward Andrews...bookworm. I don't see how "A Good Imagination" won't stick as one of my favorite "Thriller" episodes. I won't spoil this one because it's got an ending that really caught me off guard. Andrews is perfect here. I've never seen him in anything that he didn't excel in. Twilight Zone's like "You Drive" and "Third From the Sun", for example. He plays a great bad guy. The guy you love to hate. Patricia Barry is very good here also, she's steaming hot as the wife of said Ed.

As I was watching this, I thought it would have made a great hour-long TZ, but then the ending with its silhouette and closing music seems like a deliberate jab (or tribute) at "Alfred Hitchcock Presents".

My Rating: 10 - Excellent

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:16 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Neutral
Just a question about this. Are we supposed to be rooting for the husband? At first I thought so, but then I realized maybe she was cheating on him because he didn't pay enough attention or spend enough time with her. Later I thought though, why even marry the guy then? Must have had a good amount of money. She could've just left him though, so I kind of wanted him to get away, but even though he didn't, the ending was really clever. Andrews has a knack for playing either benign or douchey characters you love or love to hate. Ed Nelson plays another kind of jerk. He seems to mostly play a selfish, jerky guy, someone with a scheme, someone troubled or a little clueless, like on Night Gallery. This one was fun, I looked forward to seeing how he'd do in the next victim. I'll go in the middle of you guys and give this one a 9. Onto the next episode.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:10 am 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
Well, to me Frank was sympathetic...at first. Then he goes south.

Louise is a gold digger and has no real redeeming qualities, either.

You don't have to pick a side... :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:09 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

One little thing that always stays with me about this one is that clever play on the word "repairs."