Pushing The Envelope Forums

Classic & Cult Television, Movies and More
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

Rate "Night of the Living Dead"
10 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
9 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
7 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
5 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
3 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Zer0 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:15 pm 
Offline
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:14 am
Posts: 7533
Location: In the cold chill that runs down your spine.
My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Night of the Living Dead (1968)

PtEImage

Original Release Date: October 1, 1968
Cast: Duane Jones, Judith O'Dea, Karl Hardman, Marilyn Eastman, Keith Wayne, Judith Ridley, Kyra Schon
Writer(s): John A. Russo and George A. Romero
Director: George A. Romero

Zombies! Zombies! Terrified town folk hiding in a farmhouse. Zombies! Zombies!



Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:00 am 
Offline
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:55 am
Posts: 3152
Location: Deepstar Six
My Mood: So-So
George Romero is a god and I refuse to believe otherwise. Started the whole living dead phenomenon and it also has a great ending. I really cant say if this movie would have been better in color or black & white, but many people say the original B&W is the best and adds to the creepy factor. I do know there is a color version out there somewhere. My top 3-5 films of all time are the sequels to this film, Dawn of the Dead & Day of the Dead.
The remake of this film that was made in 1990 I think is actually superior to this movie......it was directed by Tom Savini and produced by Romero I believe but not positive.....it was.done in a better way but it doesnt take away any love for this one.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:15 pm 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
StillValleyBard wrote:
George Romero is a god and I refuse to believe otherwise. Started the whole living dead phenomenon and it also has a great ending. I really cant say if this movie would have been better in color or black & white, but many people say the original B&W is the best and adds to the creepy factor. I do know there is a color version out there somewhere. My top 3-5 films of all time are the sequels to this film, Dawn of the Dead & Day of the Dead.
The remake of this film that was made in 1990 I think is actually superior to this movie......it was directed by Tom Savini and produced by Romero I believe but not positive.....it was.done in a better way but it doesnt take away any love for this one.


I like the Savini remake, but this original version is better, a great movie and obviously inspired by Richard Matheson's "I am Legend", as Romero freely admits. Before this film cinematic zombies were primarily based on voodoo legends, like in the Hammer classic "The Plague of Zombies", but this film redefined the genre and has the kind of intelligent, powerful, social commentary most zombie films made since lack. One of the reasons why this film works so well and better than the remake in my opinion is because the story is a product of it's time, reflecting the cold war, the war in Vietnam and racism against African Americans, something which the ending particularly comments upon in a rather subtle, but disturbing way.

10/10


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:28 am 
Offline
District Post Master
District Post Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:44 am
Posts: 1801
Location: Swansea, UK
My Mood: Happy
This is the movie that created the whole zombie movie genre. Wonderfully paced, well directed and the characters are both believable and well played. I have both the original and the 1990s remake and I'd say they are both excellent. Worthy of a 10

_________________
Image
* Thanks to DrMoreau for creating and hosting this!


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:24 pm 
Offline
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:55 am
Posts: 3152
Location: Deepstar Six
My Mood: So-So
Rorschach wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:
George Romero is a god and I refuse to believe otherwise. Started the whole living dead phenomenon and it also has a great ending. I really cant say if this movie would have been better in color or black & white, but many people say the original B&W is the best and adds to the creepy factor. I do know there is a color version out there somewhere. My top 3-5 films of all time are the sequels to this film, Dawn of the Dead & Day of the Dead.
The remake of this film that was made in 1990 I think is actually superior to this movie......it was directed by Tom Savini and produced by Romero I believe but not positive.....it was.done in a better way but it doesnt take away any love for this one.


I like the Savini remake, but this original version is better, a great movie and obviously inspired by Richard Matheson's "I am Legend", as Romero freely admits. Before this film cinematic zombies were primarily based on voodoo legends, like in the Hammer classic "The Plague of Zombies", but this film redefined the genre and has the kind of intelligent, powerful, social commentary most zombie films made since lack. One of the reasons why this film works so well and better than the remake in my opinion is because the story is a product of it's time, reflecting the cold war, the war in Vietnam and racism against African Americans, something which the ending particularly comments upon in a rather subtle, but disturbing way.

10/10


I agree with your points but I think that the remake has better acting, actors etc.....because the original was shot on such a low budget and with no name cast....but the original does stand out as a better movie overall. Ending is of course way better and set a trend...which I absolutely love. I cant stand hollywood endings...


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:04 pm 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
StillValleyBard wrote:
[I agree with your points but I think that the remake has better acting, actors etc.....because the original was shot on such a low budget and with no name cast....but the original does stand out as a better movie overall. Ending is of course way better and set a trend...which I absolutely love. I cant stand hollywood endings...


Yeah, all said and done I still think the remake is pretty good, it was good idea to make Barbara a stronger woman for the 90's.

I've not seen "Night of the Living Dead 3D" which is supposed be crap and looks it, have you?


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:34 am 
Offline
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:55 am
Posts: 3152
Location: Deepstar Six
My Mood: So-So
Rorschach wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:
[I agree with your points but I think that the remake has better acting, actors etc.....because the original was shot on such a low budget and with no name cast....but the original does stand out as a better movie overall. Ending is of course way better and set a trend...which I absolutely love. I cant stand hollywood endings...


Yeah, all said and done I still think the remake is pretty good, it was good idea to make Barbara a stronger woman for the 90's.

I've not seen "Night of the Living Dead 3D" which is supposed be crap and looks it, have you?


Pretty much crap ya. B-Grade zombie film like all the typical low budget ones. Doesnt have the charm of the Romero films.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:43 am 
Offline
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:13 am
Posts: 3880
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, UK
My Mood: Indifferent
StillValleyBard wrote:
[Pretty much crap ya. B-Grade zombie film like all the typical low budget ones. Doesnt have the charm of the Romero films.


Thanks for the confirmation :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:30 pm 
Offline
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:47 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Los Angeles
My Mood: Neutral
It gives me hope for the Universe that 10 pals got together, chipping in 10K each and made this classic. It's tragic Romero lost copyright and sees no money from the many platforms this film is available on. For many years, he would never allow "Dawn of the Dead" (or any of his films) to be shown in a theater showing "Night" at the same time. Each film in his original trilogy is a reflection on an era--ten years previous. Thus, "Night" is a reflection of racism in the 1950s, "Dawn" on 1960s out-of-control consumerism, selfish greed, etc. This sub-theme motif continues in Romero's more recent zombie films with commentary on social media & obsessively making videos to post thereon.


Top
 Profile  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:43 am 
Offline
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:55 am
Posts: 3152
Location: Deepstar Six
My Mood: So-So
JonnyDuffy wrote:
It gives me hope for the Universe that 10 pals got together, chipping in 10K each and made this classic. It's tragic Romero lost copyright and sees no money from the many platforms this film is available on. For many years, he would never allow "Dawn of the Dead" (or any of his films) to be shown in a theater showing "Night" at the same time. Each film in his original trilogy is a reflection on an era--ten years previous. Thus, "Night" is a reflection of racism in the 1950s, "Dawn" on 1960s out-of-control consumerism, selfish greed, etc. This sub-theme motif continues in Romero's more recent zombie films with commentary on social media & obsessively making videos to post thereon.


I just watched Night two days ago and Ive changed my mind about the remake being better. This is the better version by far. Some of the absolute best scenes are the radio broadcasts that have that real terror and reality to them as Ben boards up the house. There is no dialogue between actors in that extended scene and its almost like the movie takes a break while we all stop and listen. It feels real..much like a real breaking news interruption.
Fun fact.. Tom Savini was actually going to work on effects for this film but he got shipped to Vietnam...where he was inspired by that carnage there ....that later made Dawn and Days effects look so real etc


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB 3.0.11 © 2002 ~ 2014 phpBB Group
subTrails recreated by DrMoreau for PtE Forums.