Total votes : 5
Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:15 pm 
Time And Realative Dimension In Space
Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Night of the Living Dead (1968)

PtEImage

Original Release Date: October 1, 1968
Cast: Duane Jones, Judith O'Dea, Karl Hardman, Marilyn Eastman, Keith Wayne, Judith Ridley, Kyra Schon
Writer(s): John A. Russo and George A. Romero
Director: George A. Romero

Zombies! Zombies! Terrified town folk hiding in a farmhouse. Zombies! Zombies!

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:00 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

My Mood: So-So
George Romero is a god and I refuse to believe otherwise. Started the whole living dead phenomenon and it also has a great ending. I really cant say if this movie would have been better in color or black & white, but many people say the original B&W is the best and adds to the creepy factor. I do know there is a color version out there somewhere. My top 3-5 films of all time are the sequels to this film, Dawn of the Dead & Day of the Dead.
The remake of this film that was made in 1990 I think is actually superior to this movie......it was directed by Tom Savini and produced by Romero I believe but not positive.....it was.done in a better way but it doesnt take away any love for this one.

Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:15 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

My Mood: Indifferent
StillValleyBard wrote:
George Romero is a god and I refuse to believe otherwise. Started the whole living dead phenomenon and it also has a great ending. I really cant say if this movie would have been better in color or black & white, but many people say the original B&W is the best and adds to the creepy factor. I do know there is a color version out there somewhere. My top 3-5 films of all time are the sequels to this film, Dawn of the Dead & Day of the Dead.
The remake of this film that was made in 1990 I think is actually superior to this movie......it was directed by Tom Savini and produced by Romero I believe but not positive.....it was.done in a better way but it doesnt take away any love for this one.

I like the Savini remake, but this original version is better, a great movie and obviously inspired by Richard Matheson's "I am Legend", as Romero freely admits. Before this film cinematic zombies were primarily based on voodoo legends, like in the Hammer classic "The Plague of Zombies", but this film redefined the genre and has the kind of intelligent, powerful, social commentary most zombie films made since lack. One of the reasons why this film works so well and better than the remake in my opinion is because the story is a product of it's time, reflecting the cold war, the war in Vietnam and racism against African Americans, something which the ending particularly comments upon in a rather subtle, but disturbing way.

10/10

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:28 am 
District Post Master
District Post Master

My Mood: Happy
This is the movie that created the whole zombie movie genre. Wonderfully paced, well directed and the characters are both believable and well played. I have both the original and the 1990s remake and I'd say they are both excellent. Worthy of a 10

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:24 pm 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Rorschach wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:

I like the Savini remake, but this original version is better, a great movie and obviously inspired by Richard Matheson's "I am Legend", as Romero freely admits. Before this film cinematic zombies were primarily based on voodoo legends, like in the Hammer classic "The Plague of Zombies", but this film redefined the genre and has the kind of intelligent, powerful, social commentary most zombie films made since lack. One of the reasons why this film works so well and better than the remake in my opinion is because the story is a product of it's time, reflecting the cold war, the war in Vietnam and racism against African Americans, something which the ending particularly comments upon in a rather subtle, but disturbing way.

10/10

I agree with your points but I think that the remake has better acting, actors etc.....because the original was shot on such a low budget and with no name cast....but the original does stand out as a better movie overall. Ending is of course way better and set a trend...which I absolutely love. I cant stand hollywood endings...

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:04 pm 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

StillValleyBard wrote:
[I agree with your points but I think that the remake has better acting, actors etc.....because the original was shot on such a low budget and with no name cast....but the original does stand out as a better movie overall. Ending is of course way better and set a trend...which I absolutely love. I cant stand hollywood endings...

Yeah, all said and done I still think the remake is pretty good, it was good idea to make Barbara a stronger woman for the 90's.

I've not seen "Night of the Living Dead 3D" which is supposed be crap and looks it, have you?

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:34 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

Rorschach wrote:
StillValleyBard wrote:
[I agree with your points but I think that the remake has better acting, actors etc.....because the original was shot on such a low budget and with no name cast....but the original does stand out as a better movie overall. Ending is of course way better and set a trend...which I absolutely love. I cant stand hollywood endings...

Yeah, all said and done I still think the remake is pretty good, it was good idea to make Barbara a stronger woman for the 90's.

I've not seen "Night of the Living Dead 3D" which is supposed be crap and looks it, have you?

Pretty much crap ya. B-Grade zombie film like all the typical low budget ones. Doesnt have the charm of the Romero films.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:43 am 
National Postal Manager
National Postal Manager

StillValleyBard wrote:
[Pretty much crap ya. B-Grade zombie film like all the typical low budget ones. Doesnt have the charm of the Romero films.

Thanks for the confirmation :)

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:30 pm 
Postal Carrier
Postal Carrier

My Mood: Neutral
It gives me hope for the Universe that 10 pals got together, chipping in 10K each and made this classic. It's tragic Romero lost copyright and sees no money from the many platforms this film is available on. For many years, he would never allow "Dawn of the Dead" (or any of his films) to be shown in a theater showing "Night" at the same time. Each film in his original trilogy is a reflection on an era--ten years previous. Thus, "Night" is a reflection of racism in the 1950s, "Dawn" on 1960s out-of-control consumerism, selfish greed, etc. This sub-theme motif continues in Romero's more recent zombie films with commentary on social media & obsessively making videos to post thereon.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:43 am 
Public Interests Liaison
Public Interests Liaison

JonnyDuffy wrote:
It gives me hope for the Universe that 10 pals got together, chipping in 10K each and made this classic. It's tragic Romero lost copyright and sees no money from the many platforms this film is available on. For many years, he would never allow "Dawn of the Dead" (or any of his films) to be shown in a theater showing "Night" at the same time. Each film in his original trilogy is a reflection on an era--ten years previous. Thus, "Night" is a reflection of racism in the 1950s, "Dawn" on 1960s out-of-control consumerism, selfish greed, etc. This sub-theme motif continues in Romero's more recent zombie films with commentary on social media & obsessively making videos to post thereon.

I just watched Night two days ago and Ive changed my mind about the remake being better. This is the better version by far. Some of the absolute best scenes are the radio broadcasts that have that real terror and reality to them as Ben boards up the house. There is no dialogue between actors in that extended scene and its almost like the movie takes a break while we all stop and listen. It feels real..much like a real breaking news interruption.
Fun fact.. Tom Savini was actually going to work on effects for this film but he got shipped to Vietnam...where he was inspired by that carnage there ....that later made Dawn and Days effects look so real etc