Time And Realative Dimension In Space

My Mood: Whatever I want it to be
Episode: 38 - Cry of Silence

Original Air Date: October 24, 1964
Starring Cast: Eddie Albert, June Havoc, and Arthur Hunnicutt
Writer(s): Robert C. Dennis {Based on a story by Louis Charbonneau}
Director: Charles F. Haas

"In the not-distant future, the sound of Man will invade those unknown depths of space which as yet we cannot even imagine. In his own world there are no places left beyond the reach of his voice. His neighbor is no longer just next door, but anywhere at the end of a wire. And it all began when prehistoric man discovered the art of communication."

Summary: A couple, stranded in the lonesome desert, battle animate tumbleweeds.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:27 pm 
Regional Post Master
Regional Post Master

My Mood: Mean
The mystery of an unseen alien force trying its best to communicate with objects and beings of Earth makes for an enjoyable story called "Cry Of Silence". People gripe about this episode being totally ridiculous with its killer tumbleweeds, frogs and boulders. But once Andy Thorne realizes something alien is trying to communicate to whatever it can, the force becomes both strangely menacing and worthy of sympathy at the same time. Andy is an inquisitive man played by Eddie Albert and he is the glue that holds this all together. His performance relays a sense of fear and wonder that offsets his hysterical wife Karen and a confused farmer named Lamont. The opening act featuring tumbleweeds that slowly encircle Andy and Karen are truly menacing. They slowly drift towards the couple and possess what Andy calls "a strength". Later, the alien force transfers itself to boulders that attack Andy and Karen while they are inside Lamont's farmhouse. At one point, Karen looks out of the farmhouse window and a boulder hurls itself into the side of the house. It lends a feeling of terror and isolation that permeates this underrated episode. What ultimately brings "Cry Of Silence" down a few notches is its conclusion. Its not a total disappointment, but it does minimize the horrific situation experienced by Andy and Karen. I'm giving "Cry Of Silence" an '8'. It's yet another forgotten treat from Season Two.

My rating: 8 - Very Good

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:58 am 
Director of the National Post
Director of the National Post

My Mood: Neutral
I have to agree with whit, in that the story of "alien frogs and tumbleweeds" (which is basically an alien trying to make an attempt at contact)is an interesting idea.
But I don't think I can rate this one quite as high as he does.
Eddie Albert does indeed turn in a good performance considering the subject matter, and he shows his range here.

But as good as he was, Arthur Hunnicutt was on the other end of the spectrum. If you compare this performance to his one in his TZ ep "The Hunt", you should see incredible differences. He really fit the bill there, and something here was just a little off, and I can't quite put my finger on it. Its almost as if he was a bit uncomfortable here.

All that aside, this is one of the OLs that seems to really get "thrown under the bus" by even the more hardcore OL fans, and the only real reason I can think of, is because of the tumbleweeds and such.
This is one episode that I would love to be able to go back in time, and view with the early 60's "mentality", instead of in todays world, and I bet it shines even more. Much better than people now give it credit for.

While not quite my cup of tea, its still a slightly above average "6" in my book.

TZ DZ Fan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:42 pm 

Ya know, for as much crud that is talked about this episode, it's not as bad as the hype lends one to believe it would be. It has a strong cast, interesting plot theory, and doesn't drag quite as much as a few others do. No visual monsters to speak of - tumble weed, frogs, and Hunnicutt aside. Gotta admire Eddie's intention and gumption to communicate with "whatever" is controlling the flora and fauna.

6!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:55 pm 
One

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:43 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I saw it again tonight, and I still think it works. (There's a huge toad in my yard right now, and since I was planning to see it again anyway, this seemed like just the right night.) It's always reminded me very LOOSELY of the Ambrose Bierce story "The Damned Thing" - farmer whose home is invaded by some invisible "Something," combined with a spooky-sounding journal kept by the farmer.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:36 am 

Two-Bit Floozy Betty Lou wrote:
It's always reminded me very LOOSELY of the Ambrose Bierce story "The Damned Thing" - farmer whose home is invaded by some invisible "Something," combined with a spooky-sounding journal kept by the farmer.

Good comparison, TBFBL. It does lend itself to this episode very well, especially with Hunnicut.

I've always thought that they borrowed this plot, The Damned Thing, for the Predator movies. Something out of our chromatic detection and audible range, hunting us in the woods, etc.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:30 am 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

I'm sure it's occured to nearly everyone, but one funny thing about this one is that Andy was planning on buying a farm in the middle of nowhere, with Karen going along with the idea grudgingly. And what do they find? - a weird place with eccentric farmers and animals (think Arnold Ziffell). I wonder if it could have been a COMPLETE coincidence when the casting for Green Acres started, or whether Paul Henning or someone else thought of this story just a little.
Eddie Albert even goes into Oliver Douglas "mode" here and there. When Karen tells him the tumbleweed attacked her, he says in that growling voice "Oh, will you cut it out?"

Unread postPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:16 pm 
Postal Clerk
Postal Clerk

It never occurred to me till I saw it again today, but there's an odd little connection between this episode and THE INHERITORS, but you almost have to be at least a casual fan of musicals to notice it (and again, it still took me forever).
This episode has the actress June Havoc, who was the real-life "Baby June" of the musical "Gypsy." And THE INHERITORS has Morgan Brittany, who played Baby June in the film version with Natalie Wood.
Anyway, it's just an odd little bit of trivia, though it took me till now to think of it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:48 pm 
1st Class Mail Carrier
1st Class Mail Carrier

My Mood: Esoteric
Eddie Albert makes this episode.

tumbleweed bit a good example of low-budget ordinary stuff turning into scary.